C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone splain how an electric choke works?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 11:15 AM
RLaFarge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Can someone splain how an electric choke works?

When I start my vette in the mornings, I have to play with the throttle forever to get it to warm up. It ends up dying a few times then I can drive with no problems. I know it is the electric choke, but I dont know how it works, so there is NO way I can trouble shoot it. :mad :confused:
Old 09-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Ken74Conv
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can someone splain how an electric choke works? (RLaFarge)

An electric choke works the same as a conventional non-electric choke, but instead of using heat from the engine to warm the spring and open the choke, an electric choke has a heating element to do the same.
Sound like your choke is out of adjustment.
Once you get the choke adjusted right you will need to adjust the fast idle.
Good luck!
:cheers:
Old 09-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Can someone splain how an electric choke works? (Ken74Conv)

An electric choke works the same as a conventional non-electric choke, but instead of using heat from the engine to warm the spring and open the choke, an electric choke has a heating element to do the same.
Sound like your choke is out of adjustment.
Once you get the choke adjusted right you will need to adjust the fast idle.
Good luck!
:cheers:
:iagree:

Been a while since I used my carb with the choke but you should be able to unscrew the three screws on the black plastic circle and rotate it to pull the choke further closed. Do this when the car is cold, not running and the key is on. Believe it labled with an arrow(s) pointing in the direction(s) of lean and/or rich telling which way to rotate it depending on your condition, in your case rotate toward rich which will close it more when it is first engaged.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:05 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can someone splain how an electric choke works? (Ken74Conv)

And also there's the choke pull-off dashpot. Or vacuum motor if you prefer.
It recieves vacuum when the engine starts, to pull back (to allow more air flow) what would otherwise be a closed choke plate or butterfly a specified amt.
This can be adjusted also. This and fast idle rpm setting will make your engine run better when cold. :D
Old 09-18-2003, 11:15 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Can someone splain how an electric choke works? (RLaFarge)

im not really having any problems with mine but how do i either remove it from my edlebrock performer or connect it and which is better.

MAtt
Old 09-18-2003, 11:39 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Can someone splain how an electric choke works? (pillowmeto)

Matt, if you have an electric choke on your carb and you want it to start a little easier and run smoother when it's cold, then you need to hook it up. You should hook it to a switched 12V supply, that is 12V that is only hot when the key is in the run position. Some people use the windshield wiper circuit since it is fairly close to tap into, other people run a seperate wire from the fuse panel. Which ever is easier for you to do.
If you don't have any use for the choke then you can leave it unhooked, but the choke flapper is only going to open completely up by engine vacuum and will at least partially restrict air flow into the carb.

Get notified of new replies

To Can someone splain how an electric choke works?

Quick Reply: Can someone splain how an electric choke works?