C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the frame cage nuts.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:15 AM
d.hilliard
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the frame cage nuts.

Does anyone have experience replacing the frame cage nuts on a C3? In removing the body most of the mounting bolts had to be cut because the cage nuts broke free. What is the best way to remove the nuts? Who makes a good replacement? Any comments from the experienced among you will be appreciated! Incidentally, for the inexperienced, if you recruit neighbors to assist in lifting the body, please make sure they can actually lift something without dropping it. The damage will be more severe than 30 years of use. Don't ask.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Replacing the frame cage nuts. (d.hilliard)

The nuts broke free? Do you mean the saddles under which they are clamped snapped off the frame? The nuts and saddles are still available from ZIP if I'm not mistaking. To remove the nut just remove the saddle or bend it up and slide the nut away from under it.

Sorry about your body damage, I had the same thing happen. I had a big crane and 2 helpers, one didn't pay attention and cracked the storage compartment. Luckily fiberglass is pretty easy to fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing the frame cage nuts.