C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 03:36 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter.

I stored it in my buddy's stand alone garage. It was way to cold to work on it there. Only when it warmed up in late April was it comfortable to work. The propane heater worked ok until you shut it off to breath and the car never warmed up.
I thought about using my garage this year but that puts me outside. I have also considered jsut storing it somewhere and forgetting it until spring.
What do you do?
Old 09-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (adamdinat)

Thing I do not like about using a heater that is not on all the time is that the metal gets condensation on when you fire up the heater. Lucky I am able to jam all 3 of my vehicles into one garage.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:55 PM
79 Midnight Blue L82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (adamdinat)

In the past my truck has sat outside all the time so the Vette could be in the garage. This winter though, I am just completing a new one-car heated, air-conditioned garage that I am going to keep the Vette and my GoldWing in :hurray: This winter at least I will be able to work on my car without worrying so much about keeping the mess cleaned up that the wife's car won't fit in the garage. I bought all new springs, shocks, suspension bushing, and a Hurst shifter last winter and they are all still in the boxes as I did not have time this summer to get them on as we were building the garage. They all go on this winter along with a complete brake job.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:00 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (79 Midnight Blue L82)

I have a newer home with what THEY call a double garage ... :rolleyes: The Vette has the garage to itself all summer, my sleds get it for the winter. There is a guy with a fairly new barn (2yrs) just an hour or so away. I pay him $20. mo. and keep either the Vette or the sleds there for the off season.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Rick68
Pro

I park it in my unheated garage do the usual winter storage stuff put the cover on it and leave it till spring.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:10 PM
77-C3 & 89-C4
Advanced

The C4 I drive all year, Stays home on those nasty snow falls days And yes I do mount snows on the sucker.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:29 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (77-C3 & 89-C4)

Drive it into the garage close the door, start it up in the spring, build big honking 427 sb in the basement in the meantime :lol:
Old 09-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Tims94
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (73Stingraycoupe)

Here in Tennessee, Winter isnt too bad so I drive mine almost every month. I do have a heated garage though...
Old 09-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Jeff78
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (Tims94)

Although this is my 1st winter owning this Vette, my previous one and past cars have gone into my garage along with ski boat around the end of October probably till mid April or so. Whenever all of the salt is washed off the roads. It is a weekend project and always the saddest couple days of the year.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:16 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (Tims94)

I air up the tires to about 36-38PSI and put Stabil in the gas tank and run the car to be sure its in the fuel lines. Then I park it over in the far end of the garage, up next to the wall, put a cover on it, and forget it until spring.

When I do this, I make sure I get the exhaust pipes real hot so there is no condensation sitting in the pipes all winter long.

My garage is very dry and I cant see paying to store it. Now if I ever get a Z06 (with Gods help!...please), then I have to consider other options as the wife might get pissey with 2 vettes in the garage all winter and her car outside.

Brent.....
Old 09-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (MN-Brent)

I will drive it untill the first snow fall and then it is in untill spring. This winter I am going to rebuild the front chassis and do some other things to it.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:42 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I'll store the '77 and drive the C-4 (when it's dry and salt-free).

What do you guys pay for storage each month?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (Corvette ED)

Summer is supposed to be for driving it and winter for working on it. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. Sometimes she has her own ideas and the motor lets go the first week of July.... :cry
Old 09-18-2003, 12:44 AM
FinnShark
Burning Brakes

We have a heated garage, so I can work with the car the whole long, long winter... It's not too big, but it's better than nothing... :smash:
Old 09-18-2003, 05:07 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

I drive mine on nice days in the winter and do minor repairing that doesn't take to long to do. I did have it tore apart for about a month last year which was too long for me. :cheers:
Old 09-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (guppie)

It doesn't get that cold in Fl to put it in a heated garage. We either drive it or park it in the garage.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:32 PM
pzcg7l
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

...park it in the garage, put the cover on, tuck it into a car jacket and comeback in spring time...

:thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter.

Old 09-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Riceater
Racer

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (pzcg7l)

Daily driver in OH here. Don't worry, my frame is already messed up so its not big deal. :lol:
Old 09-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

What's snow?? :confused:

:jester
Old 09-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter. (Corey 68)

What's snow?? :confused:

:jester
:lolg: You probably don't know about "chipped ham" either Corey. :D

I have a two car unheated garage, in which only the vette is parked. The other side has my wifes crap and my 454. In the winter I drag a 20,000BTU kerosene heater out there and work when I have time. Works ok as long as the outside temp is above 10deg. My other 4 cars sit outside. :sad:

Quick Reply: Snow belt folks. What do you do with your car for the winter.