C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to look at an 80 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Going to look at an 80 this weekend

I've shopped for cars before, just never a Corvette. Aside from teh normal stuff, what problems do I need to look for that would be specific to the car in question?

What are the + & - of 1980 Corvettes?

Finally, did they have any computer controlled electronics? If so, what?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-17-2003, 02:11 PM
SharkintheWoods
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Going to look at an 80 this weekend (Ak. Mal)

1980 was the last year for a good old fashioned computerless carb.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:25 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Take someone with you who knows C3's. They can show you what to look for and help you make an informed decision.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:26 PM
flood
Race Director

Default Re: Going to look at an 80 this weekend (SharkintheWoods)

as with all the Corvettes the rear end diff can be expensive. Make sure you hear NO strange noises / grinding from the rear.

Frame can be rusty. Leaky brake calipers. Normal engine stuff. If emission testing is required in your area , check to be sure its all there. :cheers:
Old 09-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Look out for rust. I know they are fiberglass but the frames can have rust, especially if the car lived up North. Also look out for rust around the "birdcage" area. (The parts around your windshield and above your head, under the plastic molding) Vettes are notorious for brake issues, engine temps running hot, and electrical problems. The advice I kept getting when I was looking, was to buy the most Vette I could afford because throwing money at one of these is a losing proposition at best. Mine already had the A/C converted to R134a, newer brakes, bushings, shocks, etc. I would also make sure the interior is in somewhat decent shape. Those parts can add up pretty quick. For some reason, everyday Chevy parts get more expensive once the words Corvette gets attached to them. I have an '80 and I love it, it is my daily driver. Best of luck in your Vette hunt and buy with your head and not your heart. It gets expensive to buy with your heart if you are not careful. If you can, get someone from the forum to check out your prospective buy, guys do it all the time here.

Old 09-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

Default Re: Going to look at an 80 this weekend (CVT4ME)

I have a friend with a 79 in real good shape. She offered to let me look her car over and take it for a drive so I can get a good starting point to compare the 80 to. She also had quite a few bits of advice, oddly enough, almost exactly what you guys have said.

Thank to everyone for their help.

Where to the calipers leak? Is it at the bleeder screw or the brake line fitting?

I had a 70 Camaro and remember that there were certain interior parts that were not available from anyone except a donor car. Are there any interior, or for that matter any parts at all, that fall under this category? I've looked through restoration catalogs before, but that doesn't necessarily mean all parts for the car are being made currently.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:43 PM
blunsford
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the 1980 body style. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Crash80
Drifting

I think on an '80 you will find that most of the interior parts are available. Anything is available for enough money. This forum is a great resource to turn to when looking for some of the hard to find parts. I found the bezel for the speedo/tach on my '80, which I had a hell of time finding, after I looked to the forum for suggestions. They gave me six or seven good leads. Most things are still available through the major vendors though.

I believe on your brake question, that the piston seals within the calipers start to leak over time. That is why many have gone to stainless steel sleeved (SS) calipers. Mine was already done so I am not totally sure on what leaks where. While we are talking brakes, the e-brakes on these things don't tend to work real well. Mine works great when I put the car in reverse, it locks up good, but in drive it is virtually useless. I hear that the e-brake design is a bit funky and a pain to work on other than adjusting the cable tension. Best of luck!

Old 09-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Riceater
Racer

Default Re: Going to look at an 80 this weekend (SharkintheWoods)

1980 was the last year for a good old fashioned computerless carb.

unless it was a California car with its 305
Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Visit http://www.corvetteFAQ.com and go to the "Misc - General" section. There you will find a lot of information on what to look for including these useful mechanic inspection checklists.

Mechanic Inspection before buying C3 - Part 1
Mechanic Inspection before buying C3 - Part 2
Mechanic Inspection before buying C3 - Part 3

[Modified by MIKER, 10:12 PM 9/17/2003]
Old 09-17-2003, 11:56 PM
80Xflags
Pro

I like the 1980 look and style, and supposedly it was the year that the Corvette "went on a diet" (meaning GM made a few changes to make the car lighter). And like already mentioned, it was the last year before the computer was introduced, unless it was the California version.

I haven't had a problem getting parts for mine. Check out my web page to see most of what I've done so far. Just about everything is available in the catalogs and through local parts stores. If the car has been sitting for a while and/or has high milage, expect to do all the usual services, i.e. brakes, suspension components, fluid changes, etc. And be sure to check for rust. Reach around and feel the frame on the underside and by the rear wheel wells, for example http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=623449

Goodluck. Hopefully we'll see another 1980 around here :)

:seeya
Matt
Old 09-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Default Re: Going to look at an 80 this weekend

CVT4ME - If it is the piston seals that leak, is there a way to tell without removing the caliper? Would there be small stains as the brake fluid leaks out? Where would the liquid trails be located?

MIKER - I actually printed those articles out earlier this week. Thanks for the help. I'm willing to accept any other informative links you or anyone else can provide.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Crash80
Drifting

I wish I was smarter to answer your question in regards to the brakes. Mine had already been converted over to SS calipers so I don't know what to look for in regards to a leak, as I have yet to have one. I believe once you start having these kinds of brake issues with the seals, you end up with air in the lines and the brake pedal ends up going to the floor. The air gets sucked in back through the calipers around the defective seals. The car will not stop well with this condition. The condition will re-appear after a couple of days following a bleed. If you check the car out and the brakes feel solid, then you are probably OK for the time being. There are others out there smarter than I in regards to brakes who have already been down this road. Hopefully one of them will chime in shortly. Best of luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Going to look at an 80 this weekend

Quick Reply: Going to look at an 80 this weekend