C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 4speed reverse interlock cable connect

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 09:54 PM
wellsw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 74 4speed reverse interlock cable connect

I am putting my 74 back together after changing the steering column out to install a tilt/tele. I have everything hooked up but the interlock cable and can't figure out from the service manual what I have to do to hook it up. Where should the shifter be and do I work the cable from the firewall or what? Any help is greatly appreciated. Wells :cheers:
Old 09-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: 74 4speed reverse interlock cable connect (wellsw)

I just sent you a scan (UPC 7A sheet #9) from my 1976 AIM book. It shows the back drive cable attached to the reverse lever on the transmission and the cable extending to the front of dash and connecting to the steering column.

I am sure that the 1976 description is identical to the 1974. In fact they should be the same from 1969 through 1976. Also, the cable operation and the attachment to the steering column should be identical between the standard (non-adjustable) and the T&T column.

Jim

[Modified by Jim Shea, 11:22 PM 9/16/2003]
Old 09-17-2003, 12:28 AM
wellsw
Advanced

Default Re: 74 4speed reverse interlock cable connect (Jim Shea)

Thanks, but what I need to know is what to do to connect the end of the cable to the tranny. Everything is hooked up from the steering column and all the brackets. I just need to get the end of the cable onto the post and put on the cotter pin. What I need is the procedure to connect these last two items. Wells :flag :flag
Old 09-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I will send you UPC 7A sheet #10 which is entitled Control Linkage Adjustment. I can see were the shifter linkage has adjustments that can be made. But the back drive cable does not appear to have any adjustments to it. Maybe you can make more out of it than I can. It will be on its way in a few minutes.

Jim
Old 09-17-2003, 09:21 AM
wellsw
Advanced

I guess I'm not asking about my problelm the right way. How do I connect the cable to the tranny? Does the tranny have to be in reverse? The cable end and the post it attaches to are about 4-6 inches apart. Can I move the cable backward from the firewall to attach it? Can the arm it attaches to be moved forward or will it move when you shift the transmission? What gear should the tranny be in to hook them up? Thanks Wells :confused: :cheers:
Old 09-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I am afraid that I can only explain what I am seeing on the AIM sheets. I haven't looked at my setup on my 75 in a while.

Sheet #9
There is a bracket #3 that bolts to the transmission. The backdrive cable passes through the bracket and is held in place by the clip #4.

Insert the end of the cable onto the pin that is part of the transmission reverse lever. Secure the cable end with a washer #6 and a cotter pin #5.

Secure the cable itself to the side of the transmission with the additional bracket #1.

Now from sheet #10 -
Shift the transmission into Reverse and push the lower steering column lever all the way Up. I think that your steering column should be in Off-Lock in order for the lever to go all the way to the Up position.

Now assemble the cable to the bracket #8 and attach the end of the backdrive cable to the column lever pin. Secure it with the washer #6 and the cotter pin #5.

I don't see any way to adjust this cable. Things should work correctly if you assemble it according to instructions.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 09-17-2003, 05:30 PM
wellsw
Advanced

Thanks for the info. As soon as I got the tranny into reverse, the whole thing lined up just fine. Wells :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To 74 4speed reverse interlock cable connect

Quick Reply: 74 4speed reverse interlock cable connect