C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine build-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Ace77
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Q: Engine build-up

My engine has been sitting for some time (in the car) and it's time to get going on it again (daughter will be 1 this week). Heads and intake have been off for at least two years.

Question: if there is some slight surface corrosion in the cylinder bores, I'm guessing I better pull the engine and tear it right down and at least hone the cylinders, right? If so, I guess I will farm it out and do a proper cleanup, like the heads were.

Any other options worth taking the risk on?

[Modified by Ace77, 4:17 PM 9/16/2003]
Old 09-16-2003, 04:38 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Q: Engine build-up (Ace77)

Hey Ace, I don't know exactly why you decided to tear down the engine before hand but my suggestion would be to have the block hot-tanked, magnifluxed and miked "while you're at it." Should'nt be more that a $100 or so more if you're planning on having the machine shop do the honing and matching up the pistons. If you're attempting to do your own honing, then I'd recommend you at least platiguage the mains if for no other reason than piece of mind. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Engine build-up