C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there an easy way to set up a points distributor without having a running motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 04:03 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Is there an easy way to set up a points distributor without having a running motor?

I need to set up a points distributor that I am going to use to break in my new motor, and I am not exactly sure how to do that. Is there an easy way?
Old 09-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Is there an easy way to set up a points distributor without having a running motor? (7t2vette)

You can set the point gap using a feeler gage with the distributor either in or out of the engine. Either way, it's the same.

To get the best (most accurate) setting, the engine needs to be running and use a Dwell meter. This measures the AVERAGE number of degrees the points remain closed (projected from avereage current flow through the closed points.)

The reason Dwell is more accurate is because a feeler gage will ride the high spots on worn points and give you a false reading, whereas dwell readings are independent of hills & valleys in the point surfaces. If the number was 28 - 32 *, I always set 'em at 30.

There is a piece of ancient equipment that I used in High School Auto Shop called a "Distributor Machine" (made by Sunn) which allowed you to set the dwell, vacuum advance, and centrifugal advance curves. Love to have that machine, but they're probably all buried in a land fill by now. It had a built-in vacuum pump and vacuum gage, and it had a tachometer etc. The machine spun the distributor so you could adjust the advance curve(s).

So.. the answer is yes... just use a feeler gage. If you get it reasonably close, the engine will fire right up & keep running for your cam break in. Just be sure you use a ballast resistor if your setup calls for one or you might burn out the coil and/or burn the points causing a premature shut-down.

Old 09-16-2003, 04:36 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Is there an easy way to set up a points distributor without having a running motor? (7t2vette)

Sure. Use a .017 feeler gauge (remember those?) to set them in advance. If it's a GM distributor and new points, they're pretty close right out of the box. Once it's running, set 'em with a dwell meter. don't forget to lube the cam on the points arm before you install them. Out in the middle of nowhere, a matchbook cover has been know to work in lieu of a feeler gauge :thumbs:

Hans

P.S. Tom, I have one of those antique machines! It has a bad drive motor, but everything else works. I paid 5 bucks for it at auction. I'll get the motor fixed one of these days...

[Modified by Wrencher, 1:39 PM 9/16/2003]
Old 09-16-2003, 04:46 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:iagree: Wow and I thought that I was the only one old enough on this Forum to remember the match book solution ! :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 09-17-2003, 08:49 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is there an easy way to set up a points distributor without having a running motor? (marshrat99)

:iagree: Wow and I thought that I was the only one old enough on this Forum to remember the match book solution ! :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
More than once a womans finger nail file and match book cover got me home! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Is there an easy way to set up a points distributor without having a running motor?

Quick Reply: Is there an easy way to set up a points distributor without having a running motor?