C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you narrow a corvette rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 03:07 PM
TrplBlk01
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you narrow a corvette rear end?

Any year?
Old 09-16-2003, 03:10 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can you narrow a corvette rear end? (Blue2K)

Why?
Old 09-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't see how. The halfshafts would have hardly any travel left in them.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:21 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are Corvettes with narrowed 9" Ford rear ends in them but they are mostly drag cars. MAJOR SURGERY, BIG BUCKS
Old 09-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Can you narrow a corvette rear end? (jpatrick636)

There are Corvettes with narrowed 9" Ford rear ends in them but they are mostly drag cars. MAJOR SURGERY, BIG BUCKS
I got a quote last year of $10k to 'back-half' my '79 Z28, from a very reputable chassis-guy in my area. Price included EVERYTHING: frame-rails, narrowed 9", axles, brakes, wheels & tires, ladder-bars, shocks, fuel-cell, lines, roll-cage, aluminum/tin-work, etc.
Since there is little difference in back-halfing a car, regardless of make or model, $10-large should do it. You could turn-around & sell-off the fuel tank, IRS/center-section, brakes, wheels & tires, etc.
This is my long, long, LONG-term goal.....
Old 09-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can you narrow a corvette rear end? (Glensgages)

What does offset trailing arms do? Doesnt that in effect narrow the rear track? I guess that would entail shortining the halfshafts? i dont really know but I think thats the purpose of offset trailing arms, isnt it? To narrow the rear track to allow for wider wheels that dont protrude from wheel well.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:15 PM
69Rat
Racer

Default Re: Can you narrow a corvette rear end? (Jvette73)

Hey John... No actually off-set trailing arms allow wider wheel/tire combo buy curving the lines of the trailing arm where the tire intersect the arm..thus allowing for a 2" deeper backspace, and wider tires.

BUT...Some other problems come into play....
1) brake tab location... needs to be relocated to the top, of the TA
2) Sway bar limits the size of the tire increase to 1.5"
3) stock spring will hit the tire/wheel, unless you go to a 17" rim.

I'm building my own set of TA's and going to a Coil-Over spring setup to eliminate all these problems.... plus I plan to c-notch the frame to gain a total of 3" wider tires without narrowing the rear.

If the rear goes next...which it will... I'll go for a 9" center section, and billet axle combo my brother and I am playing with. It should stand up to 900+hp of blown 572 BBC! They say it can't hold the power... so we'll see. :reddevil

who knows.. I may need to design a 4-link type setup to get it to hook... but that will be another head scratcher! :cheers:

Old 09-17-2003, 12:14 AM
zZArAZz
Racer

Default Re: Can you narrow a corvette rear end? (69Rat)

I am in the process of Tubbing my C3. If Tubbing is what you had in mind, you will pay around $3600.00 for one of these Fab9 fabricated 9" rears with center section, axles, and brakes.

Then around $1600 for a custom built for your car, rear frame with coil overs, 4 links and track locator bar.

Then around $100 for tubs, around $200-$300 for a 8-12 point cage, other assorted sheet metal plates will be needed.
This entails cutting out your entire floor and wheel wells from the seats back, cutting your stock frame at the same place and welding in the custom built back half and roll bars. Then shop for wheels and tires :P Total cost depending on labor between $7-10,000.00
Oh yeah dont forget the wheelie bars for $300!
The C3 is a very difficult vehicle to tub because of the location of the driver/passenger seat in relation to the rear wheel location. It makes for a very short 4 link = less travel..

Reference:
http://www.cachassisworks.com
http://www.swracecars.com

[Modified by zZArAZz, 11:19 PM 9/16/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Can you narrow a corvette rear end?

Quick Reply: Can you narrow a corvette rear end?