C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rethinking the BB buildup

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rethinking the BB buildup

Several months back I bought a 454 block, some very nice heads with values and springs installed, a questionable crank, and some junky pistons and rods for $600. Overall it was a good deal.

My plan was to build my first engine and replace the incorrect 350 with the correct BB. The block was in good shape and had recently been bored 0.030 over. As I said the crank was questionable and the piston and rods were junk.

Months pass. I've been so busy wiht other projects, work around the house, a wife a a 2 year old that I've made little progress on the rest of the vette let alone the engine.

Doing som mental math it seems that I'll probably end up spending almost as much building this engine as I would on a crate engine (plus knowing it was built correctly and have a warranty to boot). Plus I think I could easily get back my $600 when I sell the block and heads again.

Now I'd love to build it myself to have the experience but I'm thinking that may need to come later in life.

Why do I feel guilty? Convience me one way or another....
Old 09-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Rethinking the BB buildup (Monkeywrench)

There's not a thing wrong with rethinking your position on anything in life. Going through with something you are not sure about might the worst case scenario of all. And then again... the challenge and end results sometimes make up for it.

How's that for a wishy-washy answer? :lol:
Old 09-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if you're trying to save time or money. If you're trying to save time, yes, get a crate bb and one of those serpentine conversions for the accessories. If you're trying to save money, you might want to take up checkers.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 09-16-2003, 05:51 PM
MidNightBlueY2K
Instructor

Default Re: Rethinking the BB buildup (Brettmc)

I'm kinda in the same boat....

Time is my killer.

I have not even bought my 72 Vett yet but going over how much to buy good and how much to rebuild......

I'm probably going to go with a crate motor of time as well.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:19 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Well, of course everyone has different experience levels doing this stuff, but to me they call it "car crafting" or whatever. That means that half the fun is building it. I like playing with all the building and planning.

The crate motors can be a decent deal, but I think for the price you can get nice aftermarket crate shortblocks/complete engines that have much better parts and make more power.

Much of the machine shop expense is in the shortblock, so it could be a good deal to buy a shortblock already built or at least one as an "assemble kit" that has all machine work all done to it. Then you can assemble it all knowing it should work well without lots of weird stuff. There are many top name companies that sell them that way.

Then you can select the heads and cam YOU want and make some real power knowing the shortblock is solid.

Remember,,,,half the fun of getting somewhere is the trip....if done correctly!

JIM

Old 09-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm winding down on my engine build and it's taken me almost two years. It'll be over two years before I fire her up. I didn't opt for a crate because I couldn't lay out that much cash($5-7,000) at one sitting and I refuse to finance or charge anything. I can however, let a project nickel & dime me to death. :D Which is how I approached this one. As I got $$ I'd buy more parts. This is my first complete bottom up rebuild and I've learned a lot about engines in the process.

I agree with Jim too in that you'll be able to produce more HP with choice engine parts over a crate. I think someone on the forum dyno'd a stock crate 502 and came up a lot shorter than the advertised 502HP.

I don't have a lot of spare "Vette" time and that's one of the reasons it's taking me so long. As Jim said "the reward is partially in the journey". :chevy

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 7:33 PM 9/16/2003]
Old 09-16-2003, 08:43 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

I went through the same exact thing as you three years ago. My 71 had a non original 350 in it and as we took it down discoverd many problems, I looked into crate motors then fell in love with my BB. It was a challenge building it and many hours and bucks later I turned the key and wow! The feeling of power is like nothing you have every seen. No offense to my small block brothers and sisters, but a 454 just plain rocks. Yes the mileage is bad and there are many things to change to handle the brute, but its all worth it. Also when you pop open the hood people just stare at the monster you have built. I say go for it you won't be sorry, and hey if your are not sure about something you are a member of the best group of people around! :cheers:
Old 09-16-2003, 08:46 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Doing som mental math it seems that I'll probably end up spending almost as much building this engine as I would on a crate engine
So how does the $600 you have already spent become $4500 to complete your engine build? What other parts and labor will you have to buy/pay for? MJ
Old 09-16-2003, 08:55 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rethinking the BB buildup (MNJack)

So how does the $600 you have already spent become $4500 to complete your engine build? What other parts and labor will you have to buy/pay for? MJ
I still need to buy:

Intake
Carb
Headers (remember I have a small block in there currently)
Water Pump
All the pulleys
Lifters
Push Rods
Pistons & Rings
Connecting Rods
Maybe a new crank
Plus lots I prob forgot..

That'll add up quick...

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll think it over for a while...

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 8:55 PM 9/16/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Rethinking the BB buildup

Quick Reply: Rethinking the BB buildup