C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Distributors

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 08:17 AM
28buick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Summit Distributors

My electronic distributor has seen better days. I am considering the Summit HEI distributor. It basically seems like a stock HEI with an upgraded coil at a reasonable price. The car never sees over 5200 rpm so high rev capacity is not an issue. Has anyone had any bad experiences with these units.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:43 AM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Summit Distributors (28buick)

I haven't used one -- but plan to. I've used other Summit (brand) parts and had good luck.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Summit Distributors (28buick)

Most if not all of the Summit brand stuff is really made by other manufacturers with their label, I too have had good luck with all the Summit brand stuff I have bought so they must be using pretty good suppliers.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:36 AM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Summit Distributors (Fevre)

:iagree:
Old 09-16-2003, 10:32 AM
RLaFarge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Summit Distributors (marshrat99)

I have a lot of summit parts on my vette. So far I have no complaints at all.
I am looking at they distributor as well. I don't know if I want to get theirs or the Mallory.
I aked them about their headers and the sales rep admitted to me they were made by dynomax. :steering:
Old 09-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Summit Distributors (RLaFarge)

Summit is my mostest favorite supplier in the whole wide world.

But... ALL of their in-house brand is not top shelf.

I ordered a "Summit" oil pan (with special simulated chrome-plated "Made In Taiwan" stickers) for a Ford 5.0 and the side rails were so bowed that it could never, ever seal.

I sent it back and ordered the Ford Motorsport unit which was straight(er) across the side rails.

Haven't used their in-house distributor, but quality of their stuff has to be assessed on an item-by-item basis.

You need to actually hear from someone who has purchased the Summit distributor, or just pay-yer-money... take-yer-chances.

The $120 Accel unit I installed on an 80 was loose in the hole side to side (sloppy fit). The Mr Gasket bushing kit did not/could not solve the problem because it addressed a different fitment issue.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Summit Distributors (Tom454)

Prolly made by Weisco or something like that, I bought an orange one of theirs and it was a POS, sent it back and got a Milidon. :yesnod:
Old 09-16-2003, 02:43 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

I got a Summit Hei in my truck. It made a big difference in performance and its a decent dist. The one they gave me does have a relativly short mechanical advance curve at only 12 degrees. So in order to get a full 36 you would need to either run 24 initial which is rediculous, or modify the advance curve. But since it was in my truck and im not that concerned with all out performance I just set the initial to 12, hooked up the vacuum advance and was done with it.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:53 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was buying stuff for my engine rebuild I asked the order guy what the difference was between the Crane Cam's rocker arms and the Summit brand because I was deciding between the two. He told me that Crane makes the rocker arms for Summit. In fact, many of the valvetrain parts under the Summit name were sourced from Crane as I found when I pushed him a little more.

The difference in price was about 1/2 of that of the Crane parts.

If you ask the order or the tech guys at Summit they'll probably tell you who the real manufacture is and then you can decide from there. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Distributors

Quick Reply: Summit Distributors