C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet again more electrical questions about the brake lights.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 08:08 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Yet again more electrical questions about the brake lights.

Another question this one regarding the brake lights. If you unplug the brake light switch and used a meter to check for current shouldn't there be a continuous 14 v to one side of the plug? The wires going into the plug are orange and white with a black wire that has a large cylinder that I am assuming is a capacitor of some kind. When the brake pedal is depressed then the circuit should be open right? This would mean that some level of voltage (assuming 14v) is released through one wire passing through the switch and out the other is this correct?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Missileman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Yet again more electrical questions about the brake lights. (BlackRat)

The wiring to the brake light switch has continuous 12 volts reguardless of key position. One wire comes from "BATT" harness (orange) to the switch, the other wire (white) goes to the rear harness and on to the tail lights. When depressing the brake pedal, the switch contacts close and current is sent to the lights.
The capacitor wired to the connector is to absorb the current spike when the contacts close and open, thereby limiting the noise generated in the factory stereo.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:51 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Yet again more electrical questions about the brake lights. (Missileman)

:iagree:
Old 09-16-2003, 03:11 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Yet again more electrical questions about the brake lights. (Missileman)

Thanks that does help. I am not seeing any current at all in the connector regardless of key position. Is it possible or would it affect current if that capacitor that I mentioned went bad. Like I said I am getting no voltage to the connector at all right now.

Thanks
Wade

Get notified of new replies

To Yet again more electrical questions about the brake lights.

Quick Reply: Yet again more electrical questions about the brake lights.