C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomax Headers/MAD duals for a 1980

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Fasteighty
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynomax Headers/MAD duals for a 1980

I'm going to be purchasing a set of Dynomax ceramic coated headers and want to know if anyone has installed them with the MAD duals kit? If so were there any problems? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:
Old 09-16-2003, 06:49 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Dynomax Headers/MAD duals for a 1980 (Fasteighty)

Hi,
I'm guessing that you've got MAD duals already fitted? When I fitted my Dynomax Headers I didn't want to cut up a perfectly good system so made one from scratch. It didn't look to be to dificult a job to connect the Headers into the duals (depending on what tools you've got, or if your local exhaust shop can bend/expand pipes). I briefly considered modifying the duals, but decided that the bend in the d.side pipe would be a lot tighter than I'd be happy with. My solution was to remove the front sections of the MA system & make up 2 pipes to run from the collectors to the rear pipes of the MA system, but as that involved pipe bending & stretching I just went one step further & made up an entire system.
It's something worth considering. If you get an early x-member (or modify the existing one) you can run true duals straight from the collectors to the mufflers. Off the collectors you'll need a 15* bend (to bring the pipes up level with the underside of the car), then aim both pipes to the corresponding gap at each side of the diff & then bend at an angle of 85* to join into the mufflers as the MA system did (you wouldn't believe the agro in working out that 85* angle!!). All pipes were fitted together by expanding the ends (male/female fits) slightly more than required, so that there's a bit of "adjustment" in the joints). In addition, you can fit an "H" pipe in the system. The lowest part of the system will be the pipe just under the drivers floor pan, which is approx 4" above the deck.
In fact the more I think about it, the more I seem to remember that you'll need a fairly tight bend to hook the Headers into the MA system (but the p.side looked like a fairly simple pipe was needed).
If you go ahead & fit the Dynomax Headers could you post your impressions (especially if the engine runs a bit hotter)?
:cheers:
Old 09-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Fasteighty
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dynomax Headers/MAD duals for a 1980 (UKPaul)

Thanks for the info UKPaul. And yes, I already have the MAD duals fitted. Once I get the headers, I am going to take them to my exhaust guy and see what he thinks based on your comments. I also had thought about removing the front sections of the MA system & make up 2 pipes to run from the collectors to the rear pipes of the MA system. I would like to keep most of the system if possible.

[Modified by Fasteighty, 10:25 AM 9/16/2003]
Old 09-16-2003, 10:54 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Dynomax Headers/MAD duals for a 1980 (Fasteighty)

Fasteighty,
If I hadn't had fitted a Bowtie x-member I would have got pipes made up as you're thinking (replacing the MA front pipes). My one real reservation about it was that the p.side would be a short, gently bent pipe, while the d.side one would be a lot longer & have a fierce bend in it (almost a brick wall as far as fast moving gas is concerned). So there'd be different rates of scavenging on each bank of cylinders. Before I realised that I could run true duals I came up with a type of solution. The pipes run very close together under the x-member so it would be an ideal place to fit an "X" pipe. Nobody I've seen makes them that size so I was going to get 2 short lengths of st/st 2 1/2" pipe bent so that they overlapped each other. How to describe this? Imagine a cartoon snake with a hump in it's back?!!!! I was going to get that done to 2 pipes so that they "overlapped" when placed in position, then cut an oval of metal out of each so that they lay flush together & then get them TIG welded together, making a custom "X" pipe (hope this makes sense!!!). As well as going some way towards balancing out the exhaust pulses it would also help support the exhaust system itself.
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Dynomax Headers/MAD duals for a 1980

Quick Reply: Dynomax Headers/MAD duals for a 1980