C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of the New Hedmans

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Review of the New Hedmans

No 0-60 yet!

Finally got my exhaust welded up. Even if he can't mandrel bend, my exhaust guy always does me right. Got 2.5" pipes coming off the reducer for when/if I decide to go to 2.5" + Ultraflow mufflers. Cool!

Then, I pick up a new power brake filter and some 3/8" hose to replace old hose that broke during the header install.

As I'm pulling that hose out, one more hose breaks. Luckily, that hose was also 3/8", so I used some scrap 3/8" to replace it. Then as I'm putting the 1/4" hose back on (it's a 3-way fitting), the 1/4" hose breaks. I am moderately annoyed at this point. (It's the long hose that goes all the way to the charcoal canister or whatever that thing is in the driver's side fender. Vacuum tank?)

It's brittle and rigid like plastic. Seriously. I cut down to a point where there's relatively flexible hose and buy some t-fittings and more 1/4" plastic and get it all replaced. How annoying!

Now, all the vacuum systems are good again. *groan*

ANYWAYS- the headers performance is awesome. I actually chirp the tires at launch if I get at it real hard, and they added a very nice sound. There is a problem, though. Ground clearance is abysmal. I'm thinking about raising the car ~1/2" or so. Hopefully, I can do this with some kind of spacer in the front coil spring. We'll see...

-Steve
Old 09-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Review of the New Hedmans (Pacin'California)

Cool I am glad you like them......actually a lot of times you lost low end tourque but pick it up on the top due to better breathing.............Headers always look and sound better though
Old 09-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Enad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Review of the New Hedmans (Alwyn678)

Steve,

Which model did you get? The ones with A.I.R ports and a Kali EO number?

Dane
Old 09-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Review of the New Hedmans (Enad)

Yep, 68301-6!

They are such beautiful specimens. It's very weird to look in my engine compartment and not see the exhaust manifolds anymore. I'm so used to them!

It'll be even stranger when the car goes emissions exempt and I start yanking unnecessary stuff!
Old 09-16-2003, 12:10 AM
Enad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. That EO does not apply to my 82 but I'm thinking about using them.

It'll be even stranger when the car goes emissions exempt and I start yanking unnecessary stuff!
I can only dream of such a time. :rolleyes:
Old 09-16-2003, 12:16 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Review of the New Hedmans (Enad)

2012 isn't that far away. *sigh*

2008 for me!

-Steve
Old 09-16-2003, 01:36 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Yep, 68301-6!

They are such beautiful specimens. It's very weird to look in my engine compartment and not see the exhaust manifolds anymore. I'm so used to them!

The A.I.R. pipes on that system make it a real bitch to do the bolts and spark plugs don't they ?
Old 09-16-2003, 02:06 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Review of the New Hedmans (BSeery)

The A.I.R. pipes on that system make it a real bitch to do the bolts and spark plugs don't they ?
Well, the spark plugs really were cake. I threaded them by hand and tsw71 put the final torque while I finnaggled with something else.

All the bolts were done from the top, the AIR just made it that much more interesting. I loved dropping my 7/16" wrench and trying to figure out where it went.

I have 4/6 of the bolts on the driver's side clipped in place, but only 3/5 on the passenger side. (Obviously the front most is an exception...). How did you modify your setup for #2 and #5 bolts? Did you modify the D-clip and the c-clip or just the D-clip? (I'm guessing you trimmed it w/ a rotary tool perhaps?)

I got many compliments on the bolts you recommended, and the wires look great! How much clearance do you have between your headers and the ground? I have 2 7/8" clearance at the flange. (Yuck!)

-Steve
Old 09-16-2003, 02:12 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Some of them I had to trim both the d and c clips.
What a pain in the **** !

I don't measure ground clearance. Right now my front fender sits at 26" from the ground to the inside of the top. The only time I have header drag is over speed bumps.

Get notified of new replies

To Review of the New Hedmans

Quick Reply: Review of the New Hedmans