C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights won't close

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 08:56 PM
blunsford
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights won't close

How do you troubleshoot the headlight actuators? I adjusted my idle mixture and replaced a fuse, then they popped up, but won't close.

How does the headlight switch control the acutators?

How is the vacuum switched to close VS open the lights?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
Old 09-15-2003, 10:32 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Headlights won't close (blunsford)

It is very simple. There is an actuator that pulls and pushes. It raises and closes the headlamps. There is a switch that controls the vacuum to the actuator. It applies vacuum to one side or the other. There is a small vacuum line coming from the light switch that signals the switch. It either has vacuum or not. If not the headlights go up. First check the small line to see if it switches with the HL switch and check for vacuum on the main line to the control switch. It is unusual that the HL will not go down. It is usually the other way around, so I suspect that you have lost the signal. If you were down in the area of the fuses, you may have bumped the line or have pulled the over ride switch. Listen with it running, you may be able to hear the leak.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:47 PM
blunsford
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headlights won't close (wombvette)

Thanks for the info - it helps. I did check for vacuum leaks under the dash. I sprayed some ether around too.

If anyone doesn't know spraying ether (starter fluid) at a suspected vacuum leak will cause the engine rpm to increase if it is leaking.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights won't close

Quick Reply: Headlights won't close