C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 06:12 PM
DVG73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 383 guys

Need your opinions and advice. I had a chance to put the short block together this weekend for a trial fit but when I was checking clearances I found that a few of the rods were connecting with the cam. I am using an eagle rotating 5.7" rod assembly and a comp XE274. There was very little block clearancing needed with this package but the cam is in the way. What would be the best route. Small base circle cam, or grind the rod bolts. Grinding the rod bolts gives me the ******* plus you don't really know what the clearance is once your done since you can't see it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: 383 guys (DVG73)

Grinding the rod bolts is pretty standard on a stroker. Trick I read that I will be using this week is to put 2 peices of masking tape on the lobe and grind the bolt until it clears. You really are only taking off about a 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch at a 45 degree angle, don't get crazy and you will be fine.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:21 PM
DVG73
Racer

Default Re: 383 guys (Fevre)

Thanks for the masking tape tip. I have 50 thousandths or more on the block so the tape sounds about right. The ARP bolts do have a 45 degree slope on them now but obviously needs more and I assume the grinding is at the bolt only and not any of the rod, right?
Old 09-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: 383 guys (DVG73)

Yes, just a little of the bolt head. I have ARP bolts too and the angle is already there you just need to grind a little more off it. I also have an Eagle rotating assembly that I bought as a short block but I think the company did not grind the flashoff the oil pan rail and the rod tapped against it taking out the bearing. For reference if you grind at the 45 degree angle to the rods bolt mating surface until you just about touch the rod itself you should have enough off. Unfortunetly I did not write down which ones to grind so I will be installing them one rod at a time and checking each one, not a bad idea anyways. Funny how thin 2 peices of masking seems but if your rod moves more than that you have problems.

Get notified of new replies

To 383 guys

Quick Reply: 383 guys