C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Come and get it!!! C3 body dolly free for the taking in SE MI.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 01:58 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Come and get it!!! C3 body dolly free for the taking in SE MI.

Yes, the weekend I've been waiting for for the past couple of years finally happened yesterday and I put the body back on the chassis of my '68.

If there's anyone local to southeast Michigan I am finished with my body dolly and you can have it if you can haul it. I do have to take the casters off of it, however, as they were on loan to me by a friend. If you want to take a look at it, there's pictures on my website. It has served me well and has proven to be quite stable, not to mention convenient--allowing me to wheel the body to position it most anywhere. It also props the body high enough off the ground that I was able to crawl under to clean and detail it.

E-mail me if interested. First come, first served. I need the bay back in my garage (....for my next project...heh, heh) :D

I found the drawings for it in my files recently too. I'll post the drawings for anyone interested a little bit later this week.

my website is http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/lemansblue68
Old 09-15-2003, 02:29 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Come and get it!!! C3 body dolly free for the taking in SE MI. (LemansBlue68)

Is there no support for the front clip? if not, were there any consequences of it? Cracks, pisalignment of panels?
Old 09-15-2003, 03:39 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Come and get it!!! C3 body dolly free for the taking in SE MI. (MikeC)

I never removed the front clip from the bird cage. The front clip does droop a bit (about 1") but it is plenty flexible without any cracking issues. I removed the headlight assemblies, core support, etc. so there was no weight supported other than the fiberglass structure itself. Without the dolly structure to contend with up front, I was able to crawl in to the engine compartment area (by ducking under a wheel well) and do all necessary repairs and clean up. If you have access to Lindsey Porter's book on Corvette restoration, there is essentially the same design shown in there but it is made with a metal frame.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:25 PM
77-C3 & 89-C4
Advanced

Default Re: Come and get it!!! C3 body dolly free for the taking in SE MI. (LemansBlue68)

Nice job on your 68, enjoy
Old 09-16-2003, 10:41 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

ttt
Old 09-16-2003, 11:34 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

I'd love to have it but no place to store and by the time I drove down there, I would have wasted enough tie and gas to make one... Sorry.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:01 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Come and get it!!! C3 body dolly free for the taking in SE MI. (MikeC)

Yeah, I know what you mean, Mike. That's why I figured if someone local needed one this one's here for them, but the longer you have to drive to pick it up, the less attractive it becomes. If you're interested, I'll send a copy of the drawing I used to make it, just e-mail or IM me with your mailing address. I'll post it soon under the tech section after I get some time to clean it up a bit and scan it in. :cheers:
Old 09-16-2003, 07:06 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

I hope you won't mind. I put this link on the c3vr forum. Isn't a nice feeling when you get the body back where it belongs. Hope to see you on the road soon.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:02 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hmmm...nice and close, but I don't think my wife would go for that :)

Get notified of new replies

To Come and get it!!! C3 body dolly free for the taking in SE MI.

Quick Reply: Come and get it!!! C3 body dolly free for the taking in SE MI.