C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Engine shop in the Austin TX area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 11:52 AM
iree75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good Engine shop in the Austin TX area?

I bought what I thought was a good 454 with 427 heads with around 2000 miles on it since rebuilt. I was told that it is internally balanced. Since this is going in my 75 (to replace the unfun L48 :sleep: ), I want it to run and look nice with the $$ I'm going to have to spend. So, since it has many layers of chipping cracking paint on it and I wanted to be sure of what went into it, I tore it apart over the weekend with the idea of sending the block and heads out to be inspected cleaned and painted. What I found made me happy.

The motor as built is actually a 030 over 427 with 67-69 closed chameber, rect port heads. The block is a 454 4bolt 74-79 truck motor. The crank is a forged 427 GM.

So any suggestions on a good engine shop for my needs?

Thanks -F
Old 09-15-2003, 07:31 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Good Engine shop in the Austin TX area? (iree75)

Dennis Murray at Precision up near I35/290 has done good work for me over the years.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:54 AM
iree75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Good Engine shop in the Austin TX area? (iree75)

Great. Thanks for the info.

To add to this, the motor does appear to have the miles on it I was told. The cylinders have very little wear, no ridge.. I can still see the hone marks. The main and rod bearings, journals look perfect but I haven't mic'd them yet. The TRW forged dome topped pistons are in great condition too, little or no carbon on them.
-F

Get notified of new replies

To Good Engine shop in the Austin TX area?

Quick Reply: Good Engine shop in the Austin TX area?