C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the C3 (late 70's early 80's) going?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 10:54 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Where is the C3 (late 70's early 80's) going?

Recently posted a question about the value of my 76 and after reading alot of the threads it has got me wondering/thinking about where the market is headed for these cars. Logically thinking they should be the next to really start appreciating and being sought after for restoration projects. I know I am just starting to see some really nice cars showing up at shows and being restored were in the past you would never see these cars restored and most were junk. The mid years and early sharks seem to be getting pretty pricey and scarce, atleast nice ones and the C4's seem to moving to the super affordable cars. Do you see these cars following suite with the mid years and metal bumper cars or do you think the low HP figures is going to hurt them. I do think they are among some of the best looking vettes out there and blow the C4 and C5's away as far as looks (love that coke bottle/shark like shape). Post your opinions... I am not sure that the less than impressive performance will hurt them as they can be made super fast very easily if thats what you are into and there are alot of cars worth big bucks that can't compete with todays performance cars such as the C5 or Z06/ZR1 types. :cheers:
Old 09-15-2003, 11:33 AM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where is the C3 (late 70's early 80's) going? (agentf1)

It seems to me like the low hp numbers aren't gonna be too much of a problem, because everyone seems to be throwing in new motors, or changing components and what not. I'd think the ones with different engines would be more valuable than the numbers matching, low hp engines.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

The '73-'82 C3s will NEVER (IMHO) be worth what the chrome-bumpers go for,..., and that's a GOOD thing!!!
The '68-'72 owners feel their cars are too precious to drive and enjoy much (and rightly so), but 'ours' make GREAT cars to drive around in, and GREAT entry-level cars for 1st-time Vette owners.
Since our cars aren't 'worth' much (relatively-speaking), we can modify them to our heart's content (big-blocks, not-necessarily the 'correct' color paint, OD-transmissions, bigger tires/wheels, etc.).
Imagine owning a very nice condition early-C3 with numbers-matching 'base' (300 HP) V8, automatic transmission, 'pig' (3.08) gears (and I'm NOT 'ripping-on' those of you who DO own such a classic!), and the 'correct' color that you don't like..
You'd have a car that makes no power (again, relatively-speaking, compared to L-46s, L-88s, LT-1s, etc.), no fun to drive (slush-box), can't get out of it's own way (this coming from a Cross-Fire driver!) due to it's gearing, and a color that makes you :U
Yet, it'd be 'too valuable' to drive much, but 'modifying' it will instantly de-value it even more!!! All you'd be doing is 'preserving' a future museum piece for the next generation to 'gawk' at.....
At one end of the 'Corvette-spectrum' are the high-dollar classics (C1s, C2s, and chrome-bumpered Sharks); at the other are the high-dollar C4s & C5s.
Our 'rubber-bumpered' C3s are the 'peoples Corvette': easy to afford, easy to fix-up (compared to earlier and later models), and EVERYBODY recognizes the coke-bottle/Shark body in an instant!
Does my '82 appreciate in value like the pre-'72 Corvettes; No, I bought it to 'drive' it on nice days, as often as possible.
Does my '82 run like the C4s or C5s? No, but I didn't plunk-down $30,000-$50,000, either, and it looks a HELLUVA lot better than a C4.
Between the '3-Sundays-a-summer' earlier classics, and 'just another Torch Red C5' (which I wouldn't mind owning...), is where my lil' '82 is, and that's where I CHOOSE to be.....

Send those irate cards and letters to.......
Old 09-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a market analyst by any means but I can't see those years goin up in value like the mid-yrs and the bumper cars. There's nothin bout em to make em collectible.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 09-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Where is the C3 (Brettmc)

I'm not a market analyst by any means but I can't see those years goin up in value like the mid-yrs and the bumper cars. There's nothin bout em to make em collectible.

Brett :thumbs:
The lack of something special, whether it be unique design, engines, low production numbers, etc is the biggest key.

Since they are not sought after as collector cars, they tend to be modified. That further decreases the chance of a significant increase in value for cars that were plentiful and hold no special characteristics.

Even modified chrome bumper cars are pricey. Mine will not be restored to NCRS (though she will look correct), and while resale won't be as good as an NCRS car, her rarity will help hold a great deal of the value.

I agree that the later C3s are great entry cars and would probably by one as a second vette, but I could never see spending large sums of money to restore one. While I probably won't recover what I spend on my 70, I might come close. I think I would lose my shorts on a 78.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Default Re: Where is the C3 (Robert N)

While I probably won't recover what I spend on my 70, I might come close. I think I would lose my shorts on a 78.
EXACTLY!!! The only (IMHO) late-C3 really 'appreciating' in value 'MIGHT' be '78 Pace Cars (my g/f's personal favorite), and ONLY if they are L-82/4-speed cars, and even some of THOSE go for under $20,000.
Some of the last C3 verts or Rat-motored cars 'MAY' be going up in value, if not 'too' ratty-looking...
'79/'80 L-82s aren't getting phenominal prices, the 'D84' two-tone '81/'82s don't seem to be getting much (if any) more than a similar single-color car, but the 'asking' price for '82 CEs stays very high (if 26%+ of total '82 production was CEs, what makes them 'so' collectible...)
:confused:
Old 09-15-2003, 12:29 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Rarity is always a factor. There are a lot more C3s in circulation. From 74 up the number of cars produced each year nearly doubled. There was also 15 years in the C3 platform compared to 5 years in the C2.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:35 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that the 68-72 will continue to climb, possibly to near the level of a C2, particularly 69-71. I see the 73 climbing, but not that high. The 74-81 will clmb slowly, maybe keeping pace with inflation. I think Pace Cars and Silver Anniv are nearing a peak compared to other models. I think the 82 will be similar to the 73 in that it is somewhat unique it will be pretty high some day, but not as high as a 68-72. I think nice non-numbers cars will stay up there, at least the non-supermodified ones. I think big-blocks will always have an edge, but small blocks will close the gap. I think convertibles and high options will still command a premium. If I knew any of that for sure I would be a rich man someday. :)
Old 09-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Riceater
Racer

Default Re: Where is the C3 (adamdinat)

http://vettefinders.com/index.cfm?fu...101Story&id=60
Old 09-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Where is the C3 (Riceater)

1973-1977: The entry level (Good Buy Department) is in the $10,000 range for the Roadster and $4,500 for the T-Top.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: Where is the C3 (Glensgages)

I don't think that the later C-3's will ever bring the same price as an early C-3, C-2, or C-1 if sold at the same time. With that being said, I do think that the later C-3's will reach what early C-3's are selling for today.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:35 PM
tersian
Pro

I really wouldn't count out the appreciation potential of the later model sharks. If you look at the theft figures for classic cars, you'll see somebody really wants C3's!

Top Stolen Classic Cars by Hagerty

1. Chevrolet Corvette (1966-1982)
2. Ford Mustang (1964-1969)
3. Chevrolet Impala (1958-1967)
4. Chevrolet Camaro (1968-1969)
5. Harley-Davidson motorcycles (1941-1974)
6. Chevrolet Nova (1963-1972)
7. Chevrolet Chevelle (1966-1973)
8. Chevrolet Monte Carlo (1970-1978)
9. Cadillac DeVille (1955-1965)
Chevrolet pickups (1950-1971)
Mercedes-Benz 450 (1975-1979)
10. Ford Thunderbird (1955-1963)
Lincoln Continental (1964-1977)
Old 09-15-2003, 01:42 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Where is the C3 (Andrew)

Not saying I agree or disagree and not trying to change the topic but after reading the vettefinder article it make me think of all my and other peoples dealing with Vette dealers. If you are trying to sell, the C# generations cars are in the gutter and they can only give you $?,000 for your car but if you are buying from them a C? in this condition is a rare find and thats why we want your first born and $?,000,000 for the car. :yesnod: Just as an example (I won't name the dealer) I say yada yada corvette sales at the glasstown show when I was trying to sell my C4 1988 and he looked at it, gave me the usual lines and offered me 7k. I looked at cars he was trying to sell that were not nearly as nice in my opinion and he wanted 15 for them. I ended up trading the car in for my Z06 and got 11K towards the Z. Not sure what Classic Chevrolet got for the car. Just to comment on some of the other post I can remember when people were saying the same thing about all C3's especially 68 and 69's. How things have changed and it wasn't all that long ago.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:44 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Where is the C3 (agentf1)

Not to mention how many are really left of the approx 50,000 made as the perception has been they are disposable up until recently. Alot of cars left to rot or hacked up. Although if I was going to go out and buy up some cars and let them sit in hopes of making money it would be ZR1's that I would be buying.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Default Re: Where is the C3 (tersian)

I really wouldn't count out the appreciation potential of the later model sharks. If you look at the theft figures for classic cars, you'll see somebody really wants C3's!

Top Stolen Classic Cars by Hagerty

1. Chevrolet Corvette (1966-1982)
Yeah, it's the 'hoods' that really want our C3s!!! :lolg: :lol:

Just because Clinton had a fat chick under his desk, I ain't seen a run on 'those', either.....
Old 09-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Default Re: Where is the C3 (agentf1)

... I was trying to sell my C4 1988 and he looked at it, gave me the usual lines and offered me 7k. I looked at cars he was trying to sell that were not nearly as nice in my opinion and he wanted 15 for them.
I know the feeling.
In May of '00, I paid $15,000 for my '82 with just 11,137 original miles. I didn't buy it to 'collect' it (watch it go up in value); I bought it to 'enjoy' it.
3 years later, I've put 9,000 miles on it, and pamper it between rides. I see dealers asking the SAME $15k for '80-'82s with 40-50,000 miles, painted, after-market wheels, etc. (I might pay $10k for a decent, 100,000 miler, but ONLY because I like late C3s).
I feel like driving my '82 to their place, inquiring about their 50,000-mile C3, then ask THEM to pay ME $7500 to leave MY '82 with them on the trade.....
Old 09-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

It is hard to compare what a dealer is willing to buy a car for with what they are worth. Dealers are still trying to make money on these deals.

As far as the stolen car issue, Glensgages is correct. They are generally stolen for parts. The cars are worth less whole than the sum of their parts.

Its is very possible that the later cars will command some good money, but I just don't see it.

Get notified of new replies

To Where is the C3 (late 70's early 80's) going?

Old 09-15-2003, 02:53 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

It's hard to say what will happen with later C3 prices. I know all of our cars at one time were considered just used cars. It's only with the passage of time that certain cars become classic and desirable. I think it could very well happen with these cars. After all they are Corvettes!!! As more and more of these cars are chopped up, modded, and generally run into the ground the one's that are kept in nice orginal condition will appreciate. Then there will come a point where it is economically feasible to restore them and then watch them rise in value.
All I know is I recieved over 20K for my 82CE 2 years ago and I can only imagine what my present car will be worth in the coming years.
I say it's a good thing...why wouldn't we want our cars to increase in value?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: Where is the C3 (gq82)

It's hard to say what will happen with later C3 prices. I know all of our cars at one time were considered just used cars. It's only with the passage of time that certain cars become classic and desirable. I think it could very well happen with these cars. After all they are Corvettes!!! As more and more of these cars are chopped up, modded, and generally run into the ground the one's that are kept in nice orginal condition will appreciate. Then there will come a point where it is economically feasible to restore them and then watch them rise in value.
All I know is I recieved over 20K for my 82CE 2 years ago and I can only imagine what my present car will be worth in the coming years.
I say it's a good thing...why wouldn't we want our cars to increase in value?
Of all the comments made in this thread, I would have to give this one the ole :withstupid:
Old 09-15-2003, 03:17 PM
tersian
Pro

Just because Clinton had a fat chick under his desk, I ain't seen a run on 'those', either.....
I just wish someone would steal Clinton and take him somewhere else(like Mars). :lolg:

When are you coming to install these gears Glen? :)

Quick Reply: Where is the C3 (late 70's early 80's) going?