C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELLLLLPPPPP! '76 stingray clutch/tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 05:57 AM
marcus.md
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELLLLLPPPPP! '76 stingray clutch/tranny problems

Hey!
I am in the middle of replacing the clutch in my '76 silver 'vette, but i accidentally ordered the wrong one (apparently). my current clutch has only 10 splines, but the one i ordered had many more. anyway i can make sure to get the right part this time? also... anyone know of a good replacement flywheel (that's what engages with the clutch, right? don't laugh) b/c my buddies told me that mine needs to be resurfaced, but htat i could probably get a lighter, high performance one for just as much, and that it'd be easier. i figure i might as well take care of that now since it's such a pain to get to it. it took me 6 hours just to get the shifter, tranny, and all out of that car. this is my first project. also, what 6spd or 5+1 trannies will fit without me having to do major work to replace it? i just totaled my daily driver, so getting this car up & running now (on a budget) is of dire import.
any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. and if you're in the Austin, TX area and wanna help me out, i'd love that. i could dole out some free personal training to anyone interested in helping me. thanks
Marcus Minchew
'76 silver, 4spd Stingray. 62k miles.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:55 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: HELLLLLPPPPP! '76 stingray clutch/tranny problems (marcus.md)

76 Should have a BW ST-10 4 speed with a fine spline like the one you ordered. Sounds like the tranny was swapped out for an earlier Muncie?Pre-1971 model? Those had the coarse spline.
You should be able toget your flywheel resurfasced at an engine rebuilder or clutch shop for about $25 add another $25 for a new ring gear if you need one and you're still ahead because new flywheels cost much more. I would stay with the stock one for street driving.
Gary

Quick Reply: HELLLLLPPPPP! '76 stingray clutch/tranny problems