C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Distributor & water pump for my 427 Big Block / 77 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Omega1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Distributor & water pump for my 427 Big Block / 77 Vette

I'm in the midst of constructing this 427 for my 77. i'm now to the point that the engine itself is together, and needs only accessories, fuel pump, water pump, distributor, etc...it already looks very pretty. It's 12.5:1 compression, L88 cam, Weiand team G intake, speed demon 850, hooker super comp 2.25" headers, etc...

My two questions are:
1. which distributor would allow me to achieve maximum power while being able to facilitate an easy swap? from what i can gather, the vette's prior to 75 were mechanical tachs...from 75 up were electronically driven...is this correct? and if so which distributor should i purchase?
2. which style water pump should i run? short or long? are there certain clearance issues with the long style setup? i plan on running the Be Cool radiator or similar unit with electric fans. would this be an issue with either setup?

i think that's about all i can think of now...i just need to clear these 2 up so i can finish assembling this monster...thanks you guys for all your help...this forum is an invaluable resource!
Old 09-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Omega1
Instructor

Default Re: Which Distributor & water pump for my 427 Big Block / 77 Vette (Omega1)

I only ask about the distributor because the difference is about 75 dollars...i'd like to be sure of the exact part before i blow my remaining money. I was looking at the MSD Pro-Billet series...thoughts?
Old 09-15-2003, 01:17 PM
442olds
Pro

Default Re: Which Distributor & water pump for my 427 Big Block / 77 Vette (Omega1)

I am using a Mallory Unilite non-vacuum advance distributor in my 427 (really a 433 w/long con rods, you can check out the specs here http://www.geocities.com/etm_76_vett...gine/index.htm)

I am going to switch to an MSD 8361 which has a vacuum advacne. The problem I am having with a mechanical advance only distributor is that to get a decent idle with an automatic in gear I have to crack open the secondaries so much that when warm it runs on. With the vacuum advance it will allow me to get a higher idle speed with a smaller amount of throttle opening and hopefully get rid of the runon problem.

As for a water pump it all depens on what you are going to do about accessories. I started with a short pump but ended up spacing it out to being close to a long pump to get my custom serpentine belt to work. You'll want to figure out what set of pullies you want to use. Just be careful becasue if you use a crank pulley larger than 6" in diameter for a long water pump setup you will run into the crossmember with the pulley.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The regular, cheaper MSD is what you need, no tach drive for a 77. Since most MSD distributors only provide a magnetic pulse, they cannot directly drive a coil, so you'll also need an MSD ignition box to go with it. The other option would be MSDs "HEI" type distributor. This one is all inclusive, you just connect power to it and go. The coil is built into the distributor cap just like a stock GM HEI.

You need a short water pump.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Daniels
Advanced

Default Re: Which Distributor & water pump for my 427 Big Block / 77 Vette (Flareside)

Is there enough clearance for a HEI distributor on the BB C3 Vettes? :confused:
I thought the firewall was to close to the distributor and they didn't fit...
But... if they fit, I'm a lucky one, because I have a New spare HEI from my 396 Z11 Camaro where it didn't fit due to clearance problems :banghead:

Old 09-15-2003, 07:57 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Which Distributor & water pump for my 427 Big Block / 77 Vette (Daniels)

where did you get the cam and who makes it??? :cheers:
Old 09-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Omega1
Instructor

Crane makes a reproduction of the early L88 cam and sells everything required for it. I'm actually unsure of the real specs on the cam. this engine was origonally assembled in 1969 for my dad's 66 chevelle SS...he pulled the motor, tore it down, and sold the car...well he did tear it down but stored it improperly...i had about a grand in just restoration to the block and heads to make them useable again. scary thing ws even after sitting in open air for 30 years, everything is so dead on for clearances it's scary...but back to the cam. all i know is the pistons in the engine have a massive dome of around a half inch and they had to be ground for valve clearance, even with the pockets they already had. so i know the lift is at least that of the early L88 cam which was .560/.580 if i remember right...if it sounds like i don't know what i'm talking about, i prolly don't...i'm learning as i go with this one. i used to be an import guy till i found the light...my knowledge grows everyday and the first thing i learned is there is NO replacement for displacement!

Get notified of new replies

To Which Distributor & water pump for my 427 Big Block / 77 Vette

Quick Reply: Which Distributor & water pump for my 427 Big Block / 77 Vette