C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Collector with hot start problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 11:26 PM
VetsVet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 82 Collector with hot start problems

My 82 started having problems starting after it got warmed up and was shut off. I took the starter to the shop and they said the brushes were worn but didnt look that bad. They put some new brushes in and I put in a new solenoid from auto zone. The problem is still there. Do I need a new starter and if so what kind?
Old 09-14-2003, 11:52 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: 82 Collector with hot start problems (VetsVet)

Hot start is caused by heatsoak from your exhaust and engine. Try a heat shield, there should be a small shield that was stock to your car.
Moroso sells a large one for about $25-30, another alternative is a remote solenoid. Jeg's or Summit sell a kit that will move the solenoid up to the firewall or fendwell away from the heat of the exhaust manifolds.
Good Luck!
Old 09-15-2003, 02:04 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: 82 Collector with hot start problems (Smokehouse69)

....... another alternative is a remote solenoid. Jeg's or Summit sell a kit that will move the solenoid up to the firewall or fendwell away from the heat of the exhaust manifolds.
Good Luck!
Sorry Smokehouse but that’s the big misconception. A remote solenoid doesn’t move the starter solenoid anywhere. Don’t take it personal as I do respect your ideas (nice shark too) but a lot of Chevy owners think that a remote solenoid is moving the starter solenoid out of that heat. It’s still there sucking up heat and is the only one that can throw out the bendix gear to turn the engine.
But then again it’s not going to hurt things much so if installing solenoids/relays makes Ya feel good – Do It. :conehead

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Collector with hot start problems

Quick Reply: 82 Collector with hot start problems