C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Headlight wobble

My left headlight vibrates - wobbles whenever I go over a bump. It snaps in place nicely, just wants to wobble. How do I fix that?
Old 09-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Headlight wobble (Larry82)

My entire headlight assemblys are loose. When driving at night with lights on I can see the lights vibrating and bouncing whenever i hit bumps. Its due to some slack in some of the components of the raising and lowering mechinism. I need to get under there and figure out just what parts need to be replaced. Hopefully its just a pin or a bushing or something simple and in-expensive.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:12 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Default Re: Headlight wobble (Jvette73)

There is one easy place to check first. When the lights are in the up position, check the stop bracket, located on the side of each light mechanism, which is adjustable. I noticed that one side on my 77 was not contacting the stop bolt and the entire light fixture was slightly movable.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Headlight wobble (BKbroiler)

There is one easy place to check first. When the lights are in the up position, check the stop bracket, located on the side of each light mechanism, which is adjustable. I noticed that one side on my 77 was not contacting the stop bolt and the entire light fixture was slightly movable.
Thanks for the tip..ill take a look at that when I get under there. It would be totally cool if it were just an adjustment.
:cheers:
Old 09-14-2003, 09:57 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Headlight wobble (Jvette73)

I did a lot of adjustments on mine but the problem remained. I finally took them apart and found that the pins were loose because the pot metal had streched a bit. I finally had to do this...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=587128

Chris
Old 09-15-2003, 10:05 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Headlight wobble (71roadster)

In additiion to the above check the small bearings that the lights swivel on. All the ones in mine were badly worn, causing some wobble. On one light I also found that the frame for it (the "U" shaped part made of monkey metal) was also broken. It was still rigid enough to allow the light to open/close & held it fairly rigidly, but a severe shock would let the whole lot move.
:cheers:
Old 09-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Headlight wobble (UKPaul)

I fixed all my wobble with just adjustments. As was stated above the stops on the side brackets needed to be adjusted so they made contact when the lights were up. I also found a few loose bolts and made an adjustment to the closed position. Before when closed they were still slightly raised. Now they sit perfectly flush when closed. I still have the original bulbs in there. Next im gonna get some halogen beams to brighten up the night driving. Thanks for the tips. It made solving the problem easy without spending any money.

:cheers: :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight wobble

Quick Reply: Headlight wobble