C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible to change auto to manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 02:24 PM
trueplayer69
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible to change auto to manual transmission?

Is it possible to change an auto trans to manual? If so what parts doi need and how much would the parts cost.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:05 PM
79corvette
Racer

Default Re: possible to change auto to manual transmission? (trueplayer69)

Yes it is possible. It will probably cost in excess of 1,000+ tranny. They do make various kits for all the parts, I am not familar with the names. You will need, a bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, Z-bar, clutch fork, various rods and springs for the clutch linkage(if you go the mechanical route), rubber boots, shifter, and pedals. You will also need to weld a new mount on your crossmember. You could also install a hydraulic setup depending on the bellhousing you use. I think a hydraulic setup might be cheaper, I know from what I hear it is a lot easier.
That is just off the top of my head, please correct me if I am wrong or missed anything.

[Modified by 79corvette, 8:07 PM 9/13/2003]
Old 09-14-2003, 04:07 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did it and wish I had done it years ago. With the automatic removable cross member it is easy.
The hardest part is replacing the pedal assembly. It involves taking the steering column out, the drivers seat and 10 bolts.
The actual changing of the bellhousing, and transmission it's self is easy. As for parts the auto wreckers can provide a bellhousing with matching slave cylinder and fork. A 85 one ton truck clutch master cylinder bolts right in with ony a linkage change. The weld on extension from the crossmember is easy as is shortening the drive shaft.
The swap is worth it. The bellhousing, new slave cylinder and master cylinder might run $350 plus the flywheel , clutch and transmission.
Good luck
E mail me if you want to talk about it later.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:03 PM
mxzx turbine
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide I have the, Z-bracket including frame bracket, peddles and bracket, linkages, all in good shape and refinished, even have a 4 speed shifter and linkage.

Let me know

Bill
Old 09-15-2003, 12:12 AM
white74
Intermediate

Keisler makes a complete kit. It's expensive but it would put an overdrive manual in your car.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:43 PM
trueplayer69
Heel & Toe

Default Re: possible to change auto to manual transmission? (white74)

so could i change my transmission for under $1500 (i have someone who can install it for free) if so can someone make a list of everything ill need? thx

Get notified of new replies

To possible to change auto to manual transmission?

Quick Reply: possible to change auto to manual transmission?