C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding Carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 11:46 AM
jaybird81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilding Carb

I am thinking of rebuilding My stock Rochester. Well it's not my stock rochester, it's a stock rochester. I took off the computer controled carb and put a non comp. contolled one on my 81. The guy at the junkyard I bought it from said he thought it needed to be rebuilt. I put it on the car because it looked good and it didn't leak or anything but I think I should rebuild it anyway. Any advice. Is this a big project? I have the document by Lars on how to tune it but nothing on how to rebuild it.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:34 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: Rebuilding Carb (jaybird81)

It's not too bad, but you should buy one of the books on Rochester carbs. I have the one by Doug Roe and found it to be invaluable.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:08 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilding Carb (The_Dude)

q-jets are not too hard to rebuild, and kits are cheap. The thing to be careful about is getting the primary needles into the jets when putting it together. plus the internal choke link is tough. the doug roe book is great, plus most older motors manuals have a detailed illustrated section on them. the hardest thing is setting up the choke, but if you follow the instructions, it works great. make sure you clean out all the passages and air bleed tubes with carb cleaner. Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding Carb

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Carb