C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Issues...Need to Relocate Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 06:16 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Issues...Need to Relocate Solenoid

I have gone through three starters on my '73. The latest of which is a mini-gear reduction one that "supposedly" is uneffected by heat (yeah, right). Anyhoo, I seem to recall there being a way to relocate the solenoid to the firewall to aleviate the heat soak problem. Does anyone know where to get a kit or something to do this? Also can anyone recommend a good starter that will not be effected by heat?

Thanks a ton!
Old 09-13-2003, 06:20 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Starter Issues...Need to Relocate Solenoid (Mystery Machine)

IF your header is leaning right up against the starter, meaning you can get the starter with direct contact up to boer 600f, you MIGHT induce a 'heat soak' problem....

the reality is there is no such thing.....3 units??? same problem???

you got bad wiring somewhere, guaranteed....

or a bad battery is possible too....

need check everything with a voltmeter...

see where the voltage drops are occuring....

GENE
Old 09-13-2003, 06:33 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Starter Issues...Need to Relocate Solenoid (mrvette)

Thanks Gene. I am skeptical too but everything else works fine (all the other electronics) and no battery problems...ever. ANy ideas on where to start checking things with a voltmeter?
Old 09-13-2003, 06:50 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Mystery, first thing I would do is get some nice long leads for your Digital Volt Meter, warm up the car to where it fails....and then go hunting with the ignition disabled and the engine dragging, instead of spinning...you are only going to have a few attempts at this technique, as you may well drain the battery....
first thing I would check is the battery voltage at the studs (top mount) or the bolts (side mount) see the voltage NEVER goes lower than 11 some odd at the battery....
second off check again from engine ground/metal, carb air cleaner bolt...any place you get good engine iron connection .....to the battery stud on the starter, should allways read 12 volts, damn near....hit switch again...if that voltage is dropping, you got a bad connection or too thin a battery cable in there somewhere....the battery cables need be 1/2 inch diameter, or very close....anything near 3/8 inch diameter is too thin....yeh, I know they sell them that size, but we talking higher cmpression V8 power here, not some damn 4 cyl woose mobile....

first suspicion is the frame connections for your negative battery leads...under the battery box....then on the pass side engine mount...that 8" heavy wire looped to the frame mount and then the engine under a mount bolt....
second off, make damn sure you got good connections at the battery cable ends, with the loops in there, that someone is not using some damn cheap fix aftermarket connector,....corrosion under those terminals will act up when warm lots of time....pull on the cable and watch the terminal where the wire goes into the connecting loop....anyting loose there is bad news....

IF everything holds up so far...doubtful....but if......check back in...or IM me...

GENE
Old 09-13-2003, 05:04 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

:iagree: GENE has some good ideas.
Sorry, but you can’t physically relocate your starter solenoid – unless you install a Ford mill. You could install a remote solenoid but I argued against this until I’m tired of it. It only puts another solenoid in series with the starter mounted one that takes all heat and abuse and still has to throw out the starter gear (bendix gear).
Better to install some effective heat shielding that reflects heat and doesn’t conduct it right to starter/solenoid – a little air-gap/spacing helps here. But I think mrvette has you on the right track and you need to refurbish the terminals, wires and cables first. :yesnod:
Old 09-14-2003, 02:37 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had any starting problems. And I have a remote solenoid. I think it makes a difference. Here's a link with the Summit part no. for the remote solenoid kit:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=224723

Brett :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Issues...Need to Relocate Solenoid

Quick Reply: Starter Issues...Need to Relocate Solenoid