C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeroids finally finished.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Steeroids finally finished.

Well, 99% of it. I still have some very slight binding that I want to eventually work out but after a month of this car being out of action, I can wait a little while on that. I drove it to a local body shop after work today, front tires chirping all the way. It turns out they were toed in about 3/4" total. So much for my front end alignment career!!

Anyway, driving impressions. The unpredictibility is gone. That's mostly what I wanted to get rid of with this swap. It stays where it's pointed and doesn't vary. It responds to input quickly, bordering on twitchy. Much more stable (no wandering) at higher speeds. Overall, more tight-feeling than the stock system was, more confidence-inspiring. For me, definitely worth the beans I shelled out for it.

Installation snafus: Frame grinding to get some brackets to fit flush. Unique to my car was a situation where the left tierod bolt would hit the a-arm when turning the wheel to right lock. SpeedDirect was very timely in sending a modified tierod bracket.

While I was in there: new front calipers, new msd hei style dist cap, new msd 8.5 wires, blaster 2 coil, oil, plugs, header wrap removal, improved some wiring under the dash at the column.

Added a few new tools to my collection. If I need a tool, I buy it. That way, I can loan it to friends and don't have to scramble around to rent/borrow it if I need it again. Pitman arm puller, pickle fork ( I LOVE using that one, put it on the knuckle and WHAM!), and a 1&1/16 socket.

I recommend this swap. It's a major job, something I wouldn't want to try and complete over a weekend but well worth the effort.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 09-13-2003, 02:55 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Steeroids finally finished. (Brettmc)

awesome!! I've had the kit for about a year and a half now. the past six months i hadn't been driving it because of the engine rebuild project from hell!

But now it is back! more power and Hydroboost :)

BE sure to check all the bolts periodically! When I had Guldstrand reinstall the engine they found a few loose bolts on the steeroids. I think it was the u-joint and the tierod :eek:

I had to grind the frame too. It was a huge job for someone like me to take on, but i'm glad i did and it was well worth the effort!

~Jay
Old 09-13-2003, 10:24 AM
GTENIT
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Steeroids finally finished. (Brettmc)

I AM IINSTALLING MINE NOW AND HAVE RAN INTO THE SAME THING ON THE A ARM. TALKED TO ERIC IN TEC AND HE NEVER MENTIONED A MOD PIECE. WHO DID YOU TALK TO ABOUT GETTING THIS?? LOOKS TO ME LIKE THE TOP WHERE THE TIE RODS BOLT ON THE BRACKET SHOULD HAVE BEEN BEENT IE CLOSER TO THE RACK.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:34 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Steeroids finally finished. (GTENIT)

ive had mine on for a couple of thousand miles and i, for one, could not even imagine EVER owning a C-3 without it!
ABSOLUTLY the best thing you can do a C-3!

Get notified of new replies

To Steeroids finally finished.

Quick Reply: Steeroids finally finished.