C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb problem almost solved! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:37 PM
VetticusSupersonicus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb problem almost solved! Help!

Hello again,

(For those not in the know: I posted a message yesterday stating that I was having trouble with a very high idle after I started driving.)

I took a look at my carb again today and I now (almost) realize what the problem is. My fast idle cam is behaving the opposite of how it should! When I start the car, it is not activated, but as soon as I pull the throttle it shuts the choke and idles at 1500rpm. I believe this should be the other way around. So what have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance
:cheers:
Old 09-12-2003, 07:44 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Carb problem almost solved! Help! (VetticusSupersonicus)

I did not see the other post. Is it a mechanical choke or electronic? If the spring type of mechanical choke, is the spring on backwards or is the linkage getting stuck or binding?
Old 09-13-2003, 03:30 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Carb problem almost solved! Help! (VetticusSupersonicus)

When you start the car do you "set the choke" by tapping the pedal first? The steps on the cam will keep the choke off when cold, until the throttle is moved out of the way. So it sounds like it's working as it should. Now 1500 is pretty fast, and there is a screw adjustment for that. Also, if the choke is staying on too long, there is an adjustment for that, too. I didn't see your original thread, but you should have a good carb book (doug roe) or a motors manual, or instructions from a rebuild kit, to set all the adjustments in the correct order. Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Carb problem almost solved! Help!

Quick Reply: Carb problem almost solved! Help!