C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 L-48 Question on Dynomax headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 L-48 Question on Dynomax headers

On my 76 L-48 I took the cat off, gutted it and put it back. I want to dyno it to see what she comes in at. IF I decide to go with headers and 2.5 duals I have a few questions.
Will the Dynomax headers clear the older style A/C compressor or will I have to amke modifications.
Also where do I look for the bolt on pipes from the headers back to my Borla's ? does Summit sells these or do I have to have a muffler shot make'em up ?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2003, 08:08 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: 1976 L-48 Question on Dynomax headers (Pete76Shark)

Pete,
Are you bringing that Shark to the show in Spartanburg on Sept. 20th??

Would love to have as many sharks as possible!!

Dan
Cross Flags CC
Old 09-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thje dynomax will work with the long A6 compressor. The compressor bracket will need some minor grinding underneath so it will clear the #2 tube. The instructions that came with my dynomax showed exactly where to remove material from the bracket. The factory bracket will work good but you need to make spacers or stack washers to make up for the difference in the thicknesses between the header flange and the stock manifold. Use the longer factory manifold bolts for the bracket mounting and just add spacers. Nothin a trip to the hardware store wont solve.

To date I know of no manufacture that makes a bolt exhaust kit for headers and the vette C3. Best bet is to have them custom made. Custom, if done right is always a better fit. Ask for aluminized pipe. Clamping is better than welding for longevity. The aluminized pipes will last a long time. They usually break first where they were welded since the heat from the welding ruins the aliminumized process. So ask to have them clamped with stainless clamps.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Dan
Not sure what my plans are for 9/20 but I do see we have you down on the club events calendar. This is the 1st annual car sgow for Crossed Flags I see, would be great to have a big turnout I agree. I just have one conflict to workout and then the lights is green for me.

I have to get with some folks in my club to see about who can do the custom tube work if I install headers. the grinding is not an issue for me and I agree about clamping vs welding. Good point thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 L-48 Question on Dynomax headers

Quick Reply: 1976 L-48 Question on Dynomax headers