C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 12:12 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Whats it worth?

Trying to get an idea for the C3 market.
Not sure why some of the pics seem grainy. :confused:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=648304

[Modified by agentf1, 11:14 AM 9/12/2003]
Old 09-12-2003, 12:27 PM
c3vettelover
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Whats it worth? (agentf1)

Don't know about value, but the pics look grainy because they're resized for the post. If you click on a picture the larger one opens up, they look fine to me... :thumbs:
Old 09-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything wrong with it?

Brett :thumbs:
Old 09-12-2003, 01:30 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Whats it worth? (Brettmc)

Nada. The only thing wrong with it is I don't drive it enough. Slight trans pan leak from sitting and some sepage from front and rear seals but not enough to justify touching it.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

If that's all that's wrong with it, then ask what you want if you feel it's worth it. Someone will buy it at that price, it just might take a while for them to see your ad. I bet the previous owner of my vette still chuckles and says "what a sucka" when he thinks of our deal. Market value is what someone will pay for it. His vette was what I wanted, so I paid him what he wanted for it. His car was what I wanted. I paid him. Look at some price guides but I would put an 11k tag on it if it's an above-average car.

Oh, here's an edit. If the mechanicals are real good, maybe 13k. I'm no expert but it seems the market just aint that high for the mid- late-70s cars.

[Modified by Brettmc, 1:04 PM 9/12/2003]
Old 09-12-2003, 02:16 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

The car is insured for 20g. I think you have to deviate from standard corvette pricing when it come to show car type restorations etc... Luckily I do not have to sell the car but think if somebody was interested and was looking to pay somewhere in the 20ish range I would seriously think about letting it go. I have owned the car for close to 25 years and would really hate to see it go. Anything less that 20 I would be better off burning the car. ;) :jester Not that I could ever bring myself to doing that. Besides, with my luck I would be the one that got caught and sent to jail for ins fraud. Every so often I just feel bad that the car doesn't get more use and think I should probably sell it.

[Modified by agentf1, 1:17 PM 9/12/2003]
Old 09-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Since you "don't have to" sell it, put it on the market and see what happens. That's the best time to sell a car. Then you will have the patience to wait around for that one buyer that will pay what you want.

Old 09-13-2003, 01:23 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

What do you consider "Putting it on the Market" Putting an official post here in the 4 sale section and maybe throwing it in Corvette Trader? Or maybe taking it to more shows and throwing some signs on it? Probably not a bad idea, I can always say no.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:21 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

It's no fun trying to buy a car from a guy who doesn't want to sell it and doesn't need the money. Enjoy the car and avoid torturing some poor bastard.

I'm pretty sure the average price for a 1976 L-48 (auto?) is about $7k. Your car is beautiful. :cool: I'd guess $14-16k tops. Your rock bottom $20k is decent chrome bumper vert territory.

:cheers:
Old 09-13-2003, 04:57 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Whats it worth? (foundvettelifeisgood)

Found, sorry you are not having fun. ;) 7G is not even going to cover what it cost to get a comparable paint job. 14 to 16 is probably what I spent just on parts when the car was done. Not that I ever expected to get out of it what I put in as I did it because it was something I enjoyed doing. True, 20G is in chrome bumper territory but it won't be a car even close to the quality. I guess it depends on what you want out of a vette, a descent chrome bumper car or one that you will be guarenteed to be coming home with a first place trophy from just about every show. It is not my intent to torture anyone so I apologize to anybody that I may be torturing. As I said I feel bad having this vette sit in my garage and not showing/driving it like it should be but not bad enough where I want to give it away. :cheers:

P.S. Love your 72?, those wheels look great on it.

[Modified by agentf1, 3:59 PM 9/13/2003]
Old 09-13-2003, 05:29 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

I remember when I was searching for a 69 vert. Some guy suggested I talk to a guy who might want to sell. It was a decent car, local, convenient...but it had its problems. I had been researching and shopping for a while, and knew what the market was. Turned out to be a big time waster for the both of us. Nice guy, just didn't care to sell, unless someone came along and gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

You asked what the market was. Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with what you put into the car or what it would take to get a $7k specimen up to your car's level.

The best advise I got (but didn't take) was to buy the most car I could afford, because the guy that sinks the dough to make it beautiful, never recovers it. However, as you stated, the fun and pride is in the effort.

How about posting some engine shots? :cheers:
Old 09-13-2003, 05:51 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Whats it worth? (foundvettelifeisgood)

You are right, it is best to buy a car already done. Hence why mine is such a good deal. ;) :lol: Seriously, anybody that thinks they will even come close to breaking even on a resto is doing it for the wrong reasons. But you don't get the satisfaction of doing it yourself as you stated. I will try to post some more shots on a later date when I am not going over a phone line.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:19 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Went pretty quick over the phone line. Here are a few small ones.

I am sure Zora and Larry Shinoda's sigs are worth a few grand. ;) :lol: :yesnod:
Old 09-13-2003, 06:49 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Personally, I think you're in a really tough in-between zone with this car. It's not the original paint color, and the L-48 motor is dressed out as an L-82 with the finned valve covers, etc. That will eliminate the NCRS-type buyer willing to pay a premium for matching numbers, low miles, etc. You state that it's a show winner, yet it has stock exhaust manifolds with surface rust under the hood. Someone looking for a show car would immediately ballk at that. Is white leather the original interior color/trim?

I'm afraid that if you're stuck on upper teens, you'll really have to find just the right buyer for this car. An NCRS type will want to discount it because it'll have to be repainted to the original color. Someone looking for a show car will likely want more "glitz". A '76 is right there with the '75 and '77 as the least expensive C3's right now.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:10 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found, sorry you are not having fun. ;) 7G is not even going to cover what it cost to get a comparable paint job.
[Modified by agentf1, 3:59 PM 9/13/2003]
Let me get this straight - If I spend 20K on your car, throw in >7G + for original paint and original bits and pieces, I'll have a car worth high teens?
Whatta deal!! :rolleyes:
Old 09-13-2003, 07:11 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Whats it worth? (sb69coupe)

I have all the original parts, valve covers etc but the stamped ones always leaked and I like the looks of the finned alum better so I threw them on. They are a little dull right now as I usually hit them and the wheels with simichrome before a show and they come up like chrome. The surface rust has never hurt me in a show. I did use that stuff that you rub on that makes them look like new once but it got all over everything/me all the time so I let it wear off. The white is original and the paint was white also but the car has been black since 1977. I don't see why anybody would want to go NCRS with this car as I am sure they would whack you pretty good for the body being so straight. The car actually has an L82 cam in it that chevy put in. Believe it or not I had the top end of the motor done "under warranty" about 15 years ago. There was a recall on the cams in the 76's (and some other years too) because the metal was too soft so they put in an L82 cam, timing chain/gears, lifters at no cost to me. The car had a slight tap and somebody told me about the recall so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask and they did it with over 50,000 on the odo and it was over 10 years old at the time. I will have to try to did up the reciept to refresh my memory. It also has a 3.55 rear and true dual exhaust off a 74 I think and a B&M 2500 stall converter. It does not run too bad for a 76. I had it at the track once or twice years ago and think it ran mid to high 14's.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:16 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Whats it worth? (76Frankenstein)

Let me get this straight - If I spend 20K on your car, throw in >7G + for original paint and original bits and pieces, I'll have a car worth high teens?
Whatta deal!!
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with that math problem, but if you pay me 20 and then pay 7g for a paint job that probably won't come close to whats on the car I'd say you are :crazy: and bought the wrong car. :confused: My opinion is you would probably be better off buying your typical POS 76 for 7 and putting 20G's into it and then going to your NCRS show and selling it for high teens. :rolleyes:

[Modified by agentf1, 6:21 PM 9/13/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Whats it worth?

Old 09-13-2003, 07:33 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My apologies for not being straightforward. Here is the unvarnished truth. The topic said "What's it worth?". Then the entire thread you've been refuting all reasonable answers and telling us what you feel it is worth. As others have stated, if it were a low mileage, ultra clean all-original, it may be worth high teens. If it were a tricked out chromed up true show car, it may be worth the same or better. As it sits, your car is neither, but rather a hybrid of the two. The value placed on it from either camp is therefore lessened, and not worth that price to most people. Don't mistake my meaning - your car is beautiful, and I would love to have mine look anywhere near yours. The bottom line is: The market today is unlikely to give you your price, no matter how much you protest.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:48 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Whats it worth? (76Frankenstein)

Not sure about your hybred theory, didn't know there was rules or a format I had to follow. Basically it is a show quality stock restoration, NOT NCRS. I am not sure I stated what I want or even if it is for sale but suspect the 20 figure that it is insured for that has been thrown around probably is what would make me consider putting it on the market. I am sure I would kick myself for selling it down the road even at 20+. I have seen a few comparable cars quality, year and "theme, not all chromed up" with asking prices even in the mid 20 range so judging from that 20 is a steal. Not sure if they ever sold and am suspecting they didn't for what they were asking probably people similiar to me thinking if the right person wants it and are willing to pay my price they would let it go. As far as high teens go I know for a fact for high teens I have friends that would be here within the hour to take it home.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:21 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Ya know, you're right. The car is worth at least $20k. We're all wrong, everyone that took the time to respond to your post. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why people come here to ask for opinions then proceed to debate and discount any piece of advice that they receive......

I leave you with this: Old Car price guide values a #1 condition '76 L-48 at $16,575. A #2 car is $12,750. This is from http://www.vmrintl.com

Quick Reply: Whats it worth?