C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 10:04 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rookie Update

Well I finally got started! :hurray:

My friend and I took apart the front suspension, power steering and brakes. Am planning on replacing just about all of it :( , as soon as I can buy all the parts! This is one pricey hobby!!! :sad:

Anyhow, I'm having fun learning and getting my hands dirty. This is the first time I've ever done any real work other than minor cosmetic stuff. So far, it's not too bad, at least once I got over the nervousness and just did it. I've learned I really can't break anything, at least nothing that can't be replaced :thumbs:

Anyhow, I am in the process of ordering everthing for the front rebuild. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:26 PM
catfishgeez
Advanced

Default Re: Rookie Update (USA SHARK)

Good luck with it. I did the suspension and brakes a few years ago. It wasn't as bad as I originally thought it was gonna be. I just follow the instructions on the Chilton manual
Old 09-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Uh-oh!

Looks like we have another one in parts. What causes this disease? Sounds like you are having fun USA SHARK. Have you noticed any other "While I am at it" things yet now that you have those parts off? It's now fair game to do all kinds of things since you have gone this far. :lol:
Old 09-12-2003, 12:48 AM
FinnShark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rookie Update (bgrice)

While I am at it. :lol:
:iagree: That is definately coming... It's not possible to miss that phase... :smash:
Old 09-12-2003, 02:21 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I've learned I really can't break anything, at least nothing that can't be replaced :thumbs:
Just be ready, its always the most expensive part that you will break. :smash:
Old 09-12-2003, 07:42 AM
USA SHARK
Racer

Default Re: Rookie Update (bgrice)

Yes guys, I've already fallen to the "while I'm at it" disease. I really started to just fix the power steering, but thought I might as well take care of the front end suspension while I was at it. And since the brakes where coming off, I figured I might as well replace them while I was at it.....

Now I'm thinking, I'd like to take off the cat and run dual exhaust while I'm at it since the frame has the holes to run dual exhaust. But if I run the dual exhaust, I probably should get the dynomax headers so I can do it all at once.

Yes, I'd say I have a serious case of the "while I'm at it's" already.

:smash: :smash: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 09-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm thinking, I'd like to take off the cat and run dual exhaust while I'm at it since the frame has the holes to run dual exhaust. But if I run the dual exhaust, I probably should get the dynomax headers so I can do it all at once.
Ahhhh yes....the "while I'm at it's" have struck again. Just be sure to check your local smog test regulations before ripping out those cats.
Good luck with the suspension, and remember...like Dawg said...it's always the expensive hard to find part that unexpectedly breaks.
Eddie
Old 09-12-2003, 08:15 AM
My69
Burning Brakes

Just wanna let you know there is no cure for the "while I'm at it disease". Ask me how I know. :smash:
Old 09-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Rookie Update (My69)

The while I am at it got me. What started out as a front suspension rebuild snowballed into a engine rebuild, tranny inspection, new hood, added power steering, new front calipers, headers, exhaust, new radiator. Lots of new shiny engine parts. It happens to all of us. Good luck with your project.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:01 AM
USA SHARK
Racer

Default Re: Rookie Update (Eddie 70)

Thanks guys for the diagnosis.... I see I'm not the only one with the disease! :grouphug:

As for the removal of the cats, I have an Antique license and registration in Texas. Don't have to get inspected at all. :thumbs:

I have to go now and put some more lotion on my "while I'm at it" rash! :lolg:

BTW, very nice vette My69. I assume it was the result of "while I'm at it".

[Modified by USA SHARK, 8:04 AM 9/12/2003]
Old 09-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Freepop
Pro

Default Re: Rookie Update

Another "while I'm at it"

I haven't done it yet but from what I've read here, it might be an opportune time to take the radiator out and have it cleaned and checked. I have to do mine this winter and have been reading that it's not too fun. Since you have the A-arms out, I think they casue a problem, it might be a good time.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The "while i'm at it " phase is sure pricy, but in the long run, it's worth it... Do it while your'e there as opposed to tearing into it again ....

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie Update

Quick Reply: Rookie Update