C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size valve seals do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 08:39 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default What size valve seals do I need?

I believe these are the heads that I have: 33417369

It is a GM Goodwrench crate engine.

Does anyone know if these use 3/8 or 11/32?

TIA,
Old 09-11-2003, 10:06 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: What size valve seals do I need? (e3pres)

Those are the heads that where on mine when I bought it. I highly recommend umbrella valve seals. They are very cheap and work great with a stock or near stock engine. I installed mine right over the stock O-ring seals (new replacements of course). Should be plenty of room unless you have greater than ½” valve lift. They ride on the valve stem so don’t worry about any guide boss size. Just get the umbrella seals for stock valves. NAPA carries then for about $10 but shop around. Mine where made by Pioneer but sorry can’t remember part #.
Ya know my Goodwrench motor had ugly oil gobs on the intake valve stems when I pulled the heads. Smoked blue on cold startup too. Don’t know how they got so bad as I guesstimate less than 30k miles on motor? The lifter valley was still clean like new. Any ways all the fancy PC seals require machine work on the guide boss and really should have the brass valve guide installed for these as they run very dry. Late model corvette heads used a nice viton seal but still needs a machined guide boss. :chevy
And PAW only sells 11/32" valves for the sb chevy so thats what I'm gonna bet on. ;)
Old 09-12-2003, 10:39 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: What size valve seals do I need? (cardo0)

Thanks. I'll check with NAPA today. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To What size valve seals do I need?

Quick Reply: What size valve seals do I need?