C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt on Rack & Pinion steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:14 PM
04BlueGoose
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolt on Rack & Pinion steering

Has any one done the Steeroids bolt on rack & pinion steering from Speed Direct?

If so, how's it working? Was it as easy as the articles say it is? And would you recomend the mod?

Thanks for the help
Old 09-11-2003, 04:22 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Bolt on Rack & Pinion steering (REDVETx2)

Just do a search through the archives for steeroids and you will find tons of info. Yes, many of the forum have done this and most loved it.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:28 PM
04BlueGoose
Racer

Default Re: Bolt on Rack & Pinion steering (zwede)

Thanks ZWEDE
Found there was a gp back in July. Will do some more searching.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Jay M
Drifting

I've had for about a year now, and I love it! It doesn't cost much more than replacing the old system. It drives straight don the road now :)

Is it as easy as the articals say?? I think they claim 4 hours.. It took me 15 to 20 hours, and required some grinding on the frame. But I am a complete amature with only the forum to turn to for help, and I got it done.

I would not own a C3 without it.

If your steering is bad, chances are it is not one really bad component, but rather EVERY component is worn a little, there fore the whole system needs to be replaced. That makes the Steeroids kit seem less expensive.

be sure to search teh archives for steeroids, there are a lot of posts about it.

~Jay
Old 09-11-2003, 04:35 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I highly recommend the conversion to rack/pinion steering, wether done through a kit or done yourself....

cures a lot of problems...quickens the steering ratiio, makes the car handle better....tracks better....handles wider steel belted tires better....

may not care so much if you running 15 inch tires...but those of us with 40-50 series 17inch tires notice a bigger differance for the change out.....

GENE
Old 09-11-2003, 11:44 PM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: Bolt on Rack & Pinion steering (mrvette)

I highly recommend the conversion to rack/pinion steering, wether done through a kit or done yourself....

cures a lot of problems...quickens the steering ratiio, makes the car handle better....tracks better....handles wider steel belted tires better....

GENE
:iagree:

may not care so much if you running 15 inch tires...but those of us with 40-50 series 17inch tires notice a bigger differance for the change out.....
I have 15 inch tires and the difference was nothing short of remarkable. Now that I know how well it can handle I'd never have a c3 without it.:thumbs:
Dane
Old 09-11-2003, 11:58 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Bolt on Rack & Pinion steering (Enad)

Well, ok then I have had the 17 inch tires on for 8 years now...

Jim Shea's opinion seems to count for one hell of a lot, which it should, him being a retired Saginaw engineer, for christsakes....and he says IF the old system is in good shape, tight as new...it should handle the same with either system.....but such is not the feelings of the guys on the forum here, including me....
I dunno if it's the ratio being quicker, or what....but the racks do track better in my case...and so it seems everyone else thinks so too...
but inherantly, I do have to sort of agree with Jim....no logical reason for this to be so......I guess.....he spent a lifetime working at Saginaw Gear, and so I sure he knows something....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Bolt on Rack & Pinion steering

Quick Reply: Bolt on Rack & Pinion steering