C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension advice for my driver? Pwweeaaassse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:11 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension advice for my driver? Pwweeaaassse?

Hey guys. I posted this topic a while ago in "Other Cars" but didn't get replies. I really need some suspension advice and this is the best place for knowledgable car people that I know of!

I drive a 93' Buick Riviera. It has struts on the front and rear. I am going to be replacing almost everything on the suspension. Now as far as I can tell, there is only one company that makes Riviera struts, and that's Gabriel. Are they good? Does anyone know of another brand that might make them?

My big question is this... I want to lower the car by 1 or 2 inches, and make the ride a little stiffer if possible (this is the first step in my modification of the Riv- step two is an engine rebuild and addition of a GM supercharger and dual exhaust). How do I do this? Do I just get different springs? As in, shorter and possibly thicker?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 09-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Suspension advice for my driver? Pwweeaaassse? (jerryjfunk)

What chassis is that? I'm guessing Grand Am, maybe Lumina? Once you have that info you should be able to go aftermarket for springs and struts. Quickor Engineering has a good selection of suspension stuff. As for Gabriel, I haven't used their stuff in a while, but it was OK.

Hans
Old 09-11-2003, 08:01 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may give Summit Racing a call and ask them what is available aftermarket... They got me a set of KYB GR2 struts for our Camry and I like them way better than the mushy stock setup it had. Not too rough, just right for the wife's tastes I think... With the results we had going to the KYB struts, I'd say try just new struts before you cut the springs. For just a strut change, the difference was astounding.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:06 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Suspension advice for my driver? Pwweeaaassse? (Wrencher)

Dath: I'll have to give KYB a call. I know struts will make a big difference, but I also want the car a little lower. It looks too high and it bothers me. The rear currently is automatic adjusting air ride suspension, so I'll be removing them and puttin in regular gas charged struts.

Wrencher: I think it has a lot in common with Cadillac Eldorado. Does anyone make aftermarket performance stuff for 3,500 lb six cylinder FWD cars?

:flag
Old 09-15-2003, 04:21 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Come on, all you suspension nuts! More advice, hints, tips, tricks! Do I really need to resort to asking ricers?? :lol:

I'm now going to be driving an '89 Merc Gran Marquis while I'm fixing the Riviera. Huge car.

:auto:
Old 09-15-2003, 06:34 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am looking into a little replacement in my 89 Park Ave, also.
I, too, have the rear air-adjusted level control. The sensor has crapped out,
and my front end shop-guy has suggested that I replace the rear setup with
the stock non-air system.

I haven't seen performance stuff for Buick luxury cars, but you could do something.

Cut a full turn off the stock springs and adjust them to where you want with rubbers.
My rear sits WAY low with no air in the rear struts - but it's WAY bouncy, too.
By shortening the rear suspension sensor arm, you could tweak the rear height.
Maybe even put the non-air springs in the rear (heavier) - cut a coil out -
and use the air strut to adjust the height (with mods to sensor arm - maybe adjustable).

As far as the supercharger goes - I think they were production on 93 Buicks ..
at least the Park Aves got 'em. You might be better off going with an aftermarket kit, due to computer issues.

Good luck .. :seeya

[Modified by NHvette, 6:35 PM 9/15/2003]
Old 09-16-2003, 03:55 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Suspension advice for my driver? Pwweeaaassse? (NHvette)

That's probably what I'll do with the font suspension- replace the struts and cut the springs. Does anyone know of a website that sells custom springs? Because one side of the car sits lower so I think the spring might be broke anyway. This way I would just replace both with a shorter spring.

As for the back I am definently getting rid of the air ride, I don't see any use for it besides making noise and being a possible problem. I'll get heavier, shorter springs and use gas charged struts.

Nope, Rivieras were not supercharged until the new body style in '95. I think I might actually pull the entire Series I engine out and see what needs to be done to get a Supercharged Series II in there. I could get one out of a '97-up Bonneville, Park Ave, or Riviera. Headers, dual exhaust, and maybe some port work- and I'll have myself a nice Honda eating sleeper!

Thanks for the help,
Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension advice for my driver? Pwweeaaassse?

Quick Reply: Suspension advice for my driver? Pwweeaaassse?