C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Sidepipes with JET HOT coating

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 03:07 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hooker Sidepipes with JET HOT coating

I got a set of these as a Christmas gift just this recent year and I installed them in March. They looked great and sounded badarse....I love them, no doubt about it.
BUT Within the first month, they started rusting. The car is left outside, but is covered and the pipes are covered by the cover, so not much rain or snow got on them. And even if it did, it shouldnt be rusting like it was considering what the JETHOT coating is supposed to do. So I called JetHot up and they had some great customer service and told me send them back and theyd recoat them no charge. The guy said I could wait till the end of the summer if i wanted to not have to stop using the car due to the downtime and they would do it anytime within the next 3 years because thats how long the warrantee is. So i decided to wait it out so I can drive the car. 6 months later the rust is really bad in some spots.
So my question is, is this normal for the Jet Hot coating? or on the JetHot side pipes? Will this happen again after they are recoated, or was this probably just a bad batch of coating they coud have used??
Thanks
Chris

[Modified by 74VETTE, 4:57 PM 9/11/2003]
Old 09-11-2003, 06:00 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Hooker Sidepipes with JET HOT coating (74VETTE)

I'd have to say that is not normal. I bought a used set of Hooker sidepipes which had been recently Jet-Hot coated about 4 years ago. Since then, I put a little over 30k miles. While the looks leave much to be desired due to my lack of cleaning them, they do not have any rust.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

74VETTE, Is that JET HOT coating or the ceramic coating that Hooker sells?
Old 09-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Hooker Sidepipes with JET HOT coating (Red73)

My Jet Hot headers have no rust at all after 5 years. My car does sit inside but still have no signs of rust at all. I would say this is not normal.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:54 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had mine on the car for about 6 months. I have no rust, but I need to clean them underneath the car. Oil or coolant has baked onto the surface. I plan to clean them during down time this fall or winter.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:03 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks more like Holley's coating then Jet-Hot.

Mark
Old 09-11-2003, 10:19 PM
69Sting
Instructor

Default Re: Hooker Sidepipes with JET HOT coating (81vette)

My Sides are chome, not sure if there is any speacial coating but they have been on for around 20yrs. no rust. But the car has seen almost no rain and always stored in a garage.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:26 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Hooker Sidepipes with JET HOT coating (69Sting)

I definitely think there is something wrong with this coating, but as few had said this might be the Holley coating, but believe it or not these are the Jet Hot coating. I bought the side mount headers and side tubes via "Jet Hot Direct" where they buy the headers and tubes direct from Holley brand new and then they coat them with the Jet Hot coating and send them to me.

74 vert, are yours chrome or ceramic coated, your pic looks like chrome?

When i do get these thing recoated from Jet Hot, what can I do to keep them clean....Jet hot claims I should not use any type of polish or cleaner, jsut soap and water??

Thansk for all the replies
Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 05:17 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

whoa, that's pretty bad. Chrome protects even worse than ceramic.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:45 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Hooker Sidepipes with JET HOT coating (garagedweller2)

Mine are Jet-hot, the sig picture was taken about two weeks after I installed them. They still look good except where either oil or rad. fluid baked on them underneath.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:09 PM
Steve81
Instructor

That's pretty bad. Are you in a damp part of Jerzee? Most of the moisture is probably coming from the ground up. I think JET-HOT even recommends storing/parking your car over a tarp to keep moisture from causing surface rust. I live in a damp area and have gotten some surface rust on my pipes but i try to clean them once a week with a non-abrasive alum. polish (mother's etc.) and most of it comes off except between the tubes at the collector. This will also get most of the scratches out and it really brings back the shine - A big plus for coated over chrome. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Steve81
Instructor

When i do get these thing recoated from Jet Hot, what can I do to keep them clean....Jet hot claims I should not use any type of polish or cleaner, jsut soap and water??
Chris,
Just found the paper i got from Jet-Hot with my Headers & Pipes..

TO MAINTAIN THE FINISH

"Most stains on Jet-Hot high-luster silver finish can be removed with very hot water or non-abrasive aluminum polish such as Wenol, Wax Shop, Mothers or Never Dull. Wash your headers once a year with soap and hot water and polish them occasionally."

"Before storing for winter, wipe and dry off your headers. Then park the car over plastic or a large tarp. This will protect your car against moisture seeping up and causing surface rust."

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Sidepipes with JET HOT coating

Quick Reply: Hooker Sidepipes with JET HOT coating