C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to install headers with 69 factory syle side exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 02:34 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Best way to install headers with 69 factory syle side exhaust

i think i've seen this topic on here before, and i hope you guys can give me some install tips and pics of how you run your headers to go with the factory side exhaust with covers. can you still use the mufflers you buy from ecklers or corvette central then cut off the down pipe and bend some tubing from the headers? the bend seems alittle extreme, and was wondering if it could be done?
Old 09-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Best way to install headers with 69 factory syle side exhaust (Redshark6974)

If you use cast iron manifolds (as sold stock) you can fab a sort pipe out to the sidepipes very easily. With "headers", you only have 2 choices that I know of: either Stahl or Hedman side pipe headers. The Stahl's are large tube equal length (very nice but pricey - $1000.-) and the other set are unequal length, cheaper and smaller tube.

I have pictures of them if you want. E-mail me at hcabplanalp@ucdavis.edu

Hans
Old 09-11-2003, 10:45 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Best way to install headers with 69 factory syle side exhaust (Wrencher)

Headman makes the cheap version. But don't buy them, theyre no better than the ram horns :U

Also the side exhaust is extremely restrictive! it has like a 1 3/4" dia main tube. and then it has to flow through the packing!

Use normal headers, make / get an S bend and connect them to some JCL's I think he has some 3 1/2" ers that will fit under the covers :cheers:
Old 09-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Best way to install headers with 69 factory syle side exhaust (Redshark6974)

I have seen "S" pipes that run from the collectors back up where the stock side pipes exit, probably pretty restictive, but stock side exhaust are for looks and not performance. (That is if they have stock mufflers in them.) JCL makes spiral baffels for stock side pipes that really open them up for serious performance.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:58 PM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the factory pipes on my 72 and the darn thing is loud, adn doies not seem to restrictive to me.

I have never been in or around a vette with the header/chrome side pipes before.

They really make that much more of a difence over the factory ones ???

Bill

[Modified by 72ls5fla, 10:58 PM 9/11/2003]
Old 09-12-2003, 12:24 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: Best way to install headers with 69 factory syle side exhaust (427V8)

i've never heard of these JCL mufflers. where can i see or get these? i definitely want the bigger diameter with less restrictive qualities..i got a 383 goin under the hood soon!
Old 09-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best way to install headers with 69 factory syle side exhaust (72ls5fla)

I have never been in or around a vette with the header/chrome side pipes before.

They really make that much more of a difence over the factory ones ???
Yes, yes, yes! There is nothing like the sound and look of the Hooker side pipes. If you haven't heard them with a big block or a kickars small block, you haven't lived! IMO, there is no other performance exhaust system with looks and grunt that compares! Just don't use the crappy Hooker inserts and opt for the JCLs or other options. Email me if you want more info on the 'other options'. :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to install headers with 69 factory syle side exhaust

Quick Reply: Best way to install headers with 69 factory syle side exhaust