C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speed bump stalling -or- my problems with fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default speed bump stalling -or- my problems with fuel pressure

Just recently my Vette has been exhibiting brief hesitations during accelerations from complete stops, plus I've definitely noticed that every time I go over a speed bump (very slowly of course) after the front wheels come down the engine almost stalls no matter how gentle you take the bump. This can even happen while going over train tracks. hitting little road bumps, etc. The engine has never actually "quit", but sometime it comes real close. I have a Summit fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment. Lately it sometimes has been as high as 7, or can drop as low as 1, and you can see the fluctuations as the engine idles. I have an electric fuel pump that was installed by the previous owner, but I don't know the manufacturer. I'm assuming that it's the fuel pump that's causing the anomalies, but again, I'm no mechanic, so could there be any other likely cause for this? Anything else I should consider before just replacing the pump? Thanks! Oh yea, the fuel filter was cleaned recently.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:29 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: speed bump stalling -or- my problems with fuel pressure (Corvette_fetish)

Your fuel pressure should be 5 to 7 psi and steady. if not it can be faulty regulator or pump. As far as the stalling over bumps goes it souds like the fuel level is to high in the carb . what typ of carb,fuel pump,and regulator are you using?
Old 09-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: speed bump stalling -or- my problems with fuel pressure (78 Vette)

Your fuel pressure should be 5 to 7 psi and steady. if not it can be faulty regulator or pump. As far as the stalling over bumps goes it souds like the fuel level is to high in the carb . what typ of carb,fuel pump,and regulator are you using?
It use to keep a constant steady 7 psi. This behavior just started a few weeks ago. I have a Holley 750 carb. I don't know what brand the fuel pump and regulator are. I will have to look.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:10 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: speed bump stalling -or- my problems with fuel pressure (Corvette_fetish)

I just fixed a similar problem with mine, the secondary floats were too high, also I don't trust those fuel pressure gauges mine starts at 6psi and drops to 0psi when warmed up. Check the floats, adjust front so gas is lapping at the sight hole and do the same with the back then turn the back down one full turn. :D
Old 09-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Well, I guess I should have had this fuel "issue" addressed before the Poker Run, lol!

Get notified of new replies

To speed bump stalling -or- my problems with fuel pressure

Quick Reply: speed bump stalling -or- my problems with fuel pressure