C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fusible links

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 12:52 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Fusible links & shorts

Changed this from a topic on Fusible links to an electrical problem see my later post in here.

[Modified by KenSny, 2:03 PM 9/22/2003]
Old 09-11-2003, 01:17 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: Fusible links (KenSny)

Ken:

I installed an in-line bayonet style fuse holder in the red 12 ga. wire running from the solenoid to the horn relay bus. This replaced the fusible link up near the horn relay in that same wire. I use a self-resetting 20 amp circuit breaker in the holder. For some reason I kept blowing the fusible link. I still have this circuit breaker trip on occasion. I wouldn't go bigger than 20 amp.

I was going to emai you anyway. I found one of your old posts concerning factory alarm systems. You mention that you've found a replacement relay for the original one located in the jack storage area (original part #1115878). You indicate the replacement as a Delco #878. Where can I buy one of these replacement relays?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Skyhigh82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Fusible links (ettev)

Mine was shorted out so I bought a new starter harness from http://www.lectriclimited.com.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:37 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

RANT - beware!

Well, I thought I had experienced all, or most, of the PITA jobs on a car. BUT having to replace a fusible link at the back of the fuse junction area is now at the top of my list. Not only is it a pis-s-poor design in the first place but having to get at it is a nightmare. Have to pull the brake booster and move the master cylinder out of the way, and still no room to get both hands in there to work. Cannot get at it from underneath even with removing the spash shield and charcoal canister stuff. Then to top it all off, the wire is so short that I had to cut into the harness to get enough to splice AND there is only about 1" of wire coming out of the fuse junction - Jeeeeeeez.

Did this get designed in a vacuum 'cause it's obvious they never gave a thought about how repairs would be done. Now what would have been so bad about using inline fuses for the 4 or 5 fusible links hiding in various locations? Would they have blown to slowly? Are fusible links quicker to melt? Or what?

I'm breaking out the Scotch and Drambue (Rusty Nails) tonight for sure. Oh yeah, I gave up for the day, it will have to sit for awhile. :mad I'm getting too old for this crap!

Old 09-14-2003, 09:20 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Put in new topic

[Modified by KenSny, 5:07 PM 9/24/2003]
Old 09-17-2003, 10:00 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Fusible links & shorts (KenSny)

Ken, I'm running fuses in place of the links. So far, so good. I took the car down to Bowling Green, raced it, and came back like this. I've put 5000 miles with it like this. I believe I'm running 30amp fuses.

I'm sorry I can't be of assistance with the other one. Good luck with it.

:cheers:
Old 09-18-2003, 07:11 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Kensny, You can get at those fuse links on the bulkhead connector much easier if you remove the single screw that secures it and then un-plug it frim the fuse panel. The connector is 2 pieces which can be seperated for more space if required. Hope this helps, I know your frustration.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:52 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

put in new topic.

[Modified by KenSny, 5:08 PM 9/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Fusible links

Quick Reply: Fusible links