C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for replacement carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:58 PM
1972 Shark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for replacement carb

I am looking for a good Holley replacement for the Q-Jet for my 72 Corvette, base 350 motor. I have edelbrock performer manifold, hooker headers, 2.5" exhaust w/flowmasters and Pertronix electronic ingition module also stock rear posi track gear (I think 3.08). Just purchased this Corvette about two months ago. I want the carb to work with my stock dual snorkle air cleaner and small block hood. Any suggestions?
:steering:
Old 09-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Looking for replacement carb (1972 Shark)

If you're sold on Holley then check out the Holley 670 Street Avenger Series
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...C/0-80670.html
My personal choice would be a Barry Grant Road Demon carb. Quality and out of the box tuning on Barry Grant Carbs is usually superior to Holley carbs.
http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=8
Another good choice is the Edelbrock/Carter Performer Series, I have a buddy with an 79 L-82 who swears by his.
One thing to remember is to make sure your Performer intake is a dual pattern that will accept either a spreadbore or squarebore carb base. I have a Performer and it does have both bolt patterns so I suppose yours probably does too.
Another alternative would be to see if Lar's will rebuild and tune your stock Q-jet, he can make Q-jets run as good as any new carb, and it would be a little cheaper than a new carb.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:27 PM
1972 Shark
Advanced

Default Re: Looking for replacement carb (Smokehouse69)

Thanks Smokehouse69 for the info, the road demon seems like a good replacement do you think the 725cfm is too much for my 350 motor or would the 625 be a better choice. Holley also make a Q-Jet replacement @ 650cfm have you heard anything on this carb. I did like the Holley Street avenger also. Have not looked at the edelbrock yet. How much does Lars charge to rebuild and tune a Q-Jet.

I'm really confused now.

:confused:
Old 09-11-2003, 11:29 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

You need to contact Lars and ask him if he is still doing rebuilds. I know he quit for a while, because he was getting swamped. His email address is : V8FastCars@msn.com
He is a long time forum member and super tuner of Corvettes and all around great guy, but he is really busy so he might not be able to do your carb.
He has written a large number of papers on tuning carbs and ignition system, that are available at the Corvette Faq http://www.corvettefaq.com
Old 09-12-2003, 05:38 AM
duntovlives
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most all Q-jets (esp. pre emissions) are 750-800 CFM. there are pros and cons to most all carbs, but, for a street car, i sure like a good workin Q-jet. dont short yourself by changing to a lesser carb.

also, there is the dual plane/spread bore vs. single plane/holley pattern issue. i have read articles for and against about everything at some time or another it seems

down fall for the Q-jet= the spread bore pattern often has a habbit of not despersing fuel equally when used with some intakes. due to the throttle plate design, i see their point. it sure works great with a dual plane intake though.

but, the Q-jet has a great idle curcuit and a decent choke design. for a driver, idle quality and choke operation is always a plus.

good luck in your quest
Old 09-12-2003, 07:46 AM
duntovlives
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Looking for replacement carb (duntovlives)

the issue of using your stock breather base could be a problem. Well, as long as you would like to keep in decent shape. tons of them out there have been bent up to use on a Holley. u might b able to find one that someone else has already modified, and keep yours pristine. a good (non modded, non bent up etc) factory dual snorkel breather is getting harder to find every day. and the prices are beginning to creep up also.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Get a denmon 650 and I hope ur pertronix does not leave u stranded like mine did
Old 09-12-2003, 05:24 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Looking for replacement carb (duntovlives)

I don't know what the 72 aircleaner is like but I am using a Holley Spreadbore carb (made to replace the Q-jet). My 73 aircleaner did not fit on it until I put a 1/2" spacer on it because I have a 12" dia filter. If yours is a 14" dia filter then it will work fine.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:47 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Looking for replacement carb (redwingvette)

FYI. I came across this post in case your interested. I think thats what I paid fo my carb from Summit. http://c3vr.com/vrforums/message_go.asp?MID=21703

[Modified by redwingvette, 7:49 PM 9/12/2003]
Old 09-13-2003, 07:05 AM
1972 Shark
Advanced

Default Re: Looking for replacement carb (redwingvette)

Redwingvette, how do you like the Holley compared to the Q-Jet. Did you notice improved performance?

Thanks for the input :chevy
Old 09-13-2003, 08:52 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Any carb that is setup correctlly will work as good as another. If I hadn't spent the money for the Holley I would still use the Q-jet. It took me a little time to dial the Holley in (discharge nozzles and cam kit). I am very happy with the Holley but I can't say tht it runs any better than the Q-jet.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for replacement carb

Quick Reply: Looking for replacement carb