C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am ready to drop the motor in the rolling chassis and break it in, how should I cool it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 08:01 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default I am ready to drop the motor in the rolling chassis and break it in, how should I cool it?

I am ready to drop the motor on the chassis now, and i want to start it up to break it in. What should I do about cooling it? Since the rad support is bolted to the body in my case what should I do?
In preparation for the start up, I have mechanical oil pressure and temp gauges, as well as a dwell meter that can show engine rpm. The MSD box is mounted in the body so I will be using my old points distributor and the coil for the break in, so does anyone have any tips about getting the distributor set up to start right away?
Old 09-10-2003, 08:21 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ready to drop the motor in the rolling chassis and break it in(7t2vette)

When I started and broke in the engine in my truck I made temporary supports for the rad.........worked great.

Steve :steering:
Old 09-10-2003, 09:47 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: ready to drop the motor in the rolling chassis and break it in(7t2vette) (stpman)

I'll help ya if you want, let me know when you are going to start it :D

Just fab up a temp support for the rad, it's not going anywhere. Also might want to get a couple of cheap Cherry Bomb mufflers and clamp them to the collectors and take em back when your finished like I did :lol:

[Modified by MotorHead, 8:56 PM 9/10/2003]
Old 09-10-2003, 11:34 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Re: ready to drop the motor in the rolling chassis and break it in(7t2vette) (MotorHead)

Wayne, if i had know, we could have both used the mufflers! But you were ready way before me anyways. I guess I will make some kind of support for the rad. The thing causing me the most stress is adjusting the distributor and timing so that it fires right away. I've never had a motor completely new like this, where everything is new and untested, it has always been a cam or intake change, with some variables remaining the same, like the ignition system. I am really stressing over this! I keep picturing all that money blowing up or something! Yes, I wouldn't mind some help. It is always good to have someone else around to point out the obvious!
Old 09-10-2003, 11:42 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: ready to drop the motor in the rolling chassis and break it in(7t2vette) (7t2vette)

I will show you how to do it, very easy you will see, five or six grand will make anyone nervous but don't worry it will start right up .

Main thing is to make sure yo have a temperature gauge and the cooling system is up to snuff don't want to overheat it has to run for 20 minutes.:D

Oil pressure gauge is good to have too

[Modified by MotorHead, 10:45 PM 9/10/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To I am ready to drop the motor in the rolling chassis and break it in, how should I cool it?

Quick Reply: I am ready to drop the motor in the rolling chassis and break it in, how should I cool it?