C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackish colored brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 07:21 PM
carhound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blackish colored brake fluid

This is what happened.A few years ago I replaced all brake parts from master cylinder to calipers.Filled with silicone brake fluid.A few days ago, I replaced the master cylinder again,this time I used dot 3 fluid.I used a pressure bleeder and ran about a gallon through the system to flush out the silicone fluid.I rebleed the system about 2 weeks later(I didn't even drive the car in between times)the fluid had a blackish color to it.All wheels had this color.I would flush it out till it ran clear into a glass jar.When I would go to the next wheel(with the clear fluid in the jar) It looked really black.What's happened?? :cry
Old 09-10-2003, 10:39 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Blackish colored brake fluid (carhound)

Are the calipers leaking? I'd say you have air in the lines and it gave way to rust.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:57 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Silicon and DOT 3 are not compatible. You need to flush the system with alcohol if you're changing from one to the other.

Generally speaking, when you see black in the brake fluid it's from dissolved rubber from the seals in the brake system. I don't know whether the silicon/DOT combination will dissove rubber or not; I've never done that myself. Could be the combination isn't good for the rubber components and is causing them to dissove into the mixture.

If it were mine, I'd go back and flush the system with alcohol and replace with your fluid of choice, and hope for the best.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:53 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,488 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I had this as well. When I rebuilt the master it had loads of muddy dark sludge in it. Since the rebuild; no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Blackish colored brake fluid

Quick Reply: Blackish colored brake fluid