C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOO HOOO My 79 comes home FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 05:00 PM
RLaFarge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default WOO HOOO My 79 comes home FINALLY!

Well, after a MONTH of dealing with headers and exhausts, I am getting my car delivered to me THIS AFTERNOON! Can't wait to hear what it is going to sound like with headers, duals and flowmasters!
This is the LAST time I let anyone else work on it for me. Even I have to take it somewhere and watch while they do it. Everytime it was supposed to be finished there would some kind of excuse.
I will think of yall while I am crusing with the t-tops out tonight! :steering: :steering: :steering: :party: :party:
Old 09-10-2003, 05:05 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: WOO HOOO My 79 comes home FINALLY! (RLaFarge)

:party: :steering: Do that!!! :thumbs:
Old 09-10-2003, 05:36 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

:party: Sounds like you are gonna have lot of fun driving :steering: :cheers:
Old 09-10-2003, 06:12 PM
RLaFarge
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: WOO HOOO My 79 comes home FINALLY! (groovyjay)

LOL, it hasnt rained here in three weeks, well I get the car back and guess what it is doing, RAINING! Figures....
Oh well, at least it is home. :crazy: :crazy:
Old 09-10-2003, 08:34 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Good luck! Enjoy your car. :auto:
Old 09-10-2003, 08:47 PM
79VetteGirl
Instructor

RLaFarge,
Don't that just :mad burn you up? :sad: I know what you're going through :cry
Old 09-11-2003, 09:05 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Robby, I just checked at http://www.weather.com and you are not supposed to have rain today. Hopefully you will be able to get it out and enjoy your car. Have a little fun for us and let us know what you think about the new sound of your car. :thumbs:
Old 09-11-2003, 11:51 AM
RLaFarge
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: WOO HOOO My 79 comes home FINALLY! (Eddie 70)(long reply)

Well, it rained for a little bit then stopped. I know the car needs new plug wires and wire looms installed so I got out and start on that job.
I pop the hood to start working on the passenger side of the motor. The first think I notice is this dark brown stain in the top of the fender. WTF, so I get some soap and water, that doesnt help, I look really close and I see where the clear looks like it has been eaten into by the substance. Needless to say, smoke started pouring out of my ears. YES the car needs to be painted, but jeese! I start looking around CLOSELY. There are two bolts missing from the bottom of each hood bracket.. more steam from my ears, I see one of the main vacume lines STRREECCCHHEEDD over the top of the distrubitor cap. gggrrrrrr I bought a drop base K&N air cleaner and he installed for me, being a nice guy. I try to reroute the hose and there is no way. I have no clue why he changed the lines around. Fumming, I decide to go ahead and put on the new plug wires and chrome wire looms.

When I get to the drivers side, there are is a LARGE vacuum line just hanging off. WTF is this!
I trace it and it goes down to the crusie control. no biggie I think,that is broken anyway. As I start to install the looms and wire on that side. I notice that the valve cover has a small oil leak. The valve cover bolts are really loose as in only hand tightened. I install the looms and tighten the bolts down, but not super tight.
start the vette. It purrs like a kitten. I gently close the hood, get in, all ready to take her for a short spin. It is getting dark so I reach down pull the headlight switch and wait, and wait and wait. They dont come up. Okay now the steam really pours out of my ears. :mad
I shut the car off, go get the vacuum pump and test the lights, nothing. I have pressure on the line and try to lift the lights by hand they will not move. I release the pressure and then I can raise the lights by hand.
By this time it is REALLY dark, I start the car and start tracing the lines back.
I touch something and the car dies. I decided that it was time to stop and go work out for a while. I was able to get the car started as I had knocked a connector out of the distrbutor that had been bubba'ed in there.
I have taken the day off tomorrow and I will be running ALL NEW vacuum lines and replacing every connector that I can.
New lesson in life, If you want something done right, DO IT YOURSELF!
Okay I am off my rant now. I just needed to vent for a while. :rant:

I do have a question though, shouldnt I be able to lift the lights with a vaccum applied to the headlight accuators? The weird part is, if they are up and I turn the lights off, they close.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:51 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

:party: :party: :party:

Get notified of new replies

To WOO HOOO My 79 comes home FINALLY!

Quick Reply: WOO HOOO My 79 comes home FINALLY!