C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 04:39 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny cooler

Have any of you guys installed a tranny cooler? And if so, where? I have a 76 and I am thinking on the front of the a/c condenser. Also I saw a cylinder shaped aluminum transmission cooler that looked like it would be easier to mount, but I dont know how effective it is compared to the regular tranny coolers.
-Karl
Old 09-10-2003, 04:43 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Tranny cooler (ill_driver)

With the simple hinge pin arrangement they did at GM, I don't see any extra room for a 'normal' ATF cooler, I had to put mine behind the a/c condensor, in beteween....

GENE
Old 09-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Tranny cooler (mrvette)

Mine is mounted in front of the radiator and then I opened the center vent to get more fresh air by buying the center grill :cheers:
Old 09-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tranny cooler (Alwyn678)

Mine is mounted to the center bumper support. Its mounted in a downward angle so it can pick up the air that flows in from underneath.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:54 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Tranny cooler (Jvette73)

I was eyeballing between the front crossmember and the lower radiator support.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:55 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tranny cooler (BSeery)

I mounted mine between the rad and the AC condensor. I didnt move any of the parts either. The hands got a little cut up but its in.

Put all the hoses on the cooler first and then slide it between them and use the rad as your mounting surface being sure to use the little rubber pads to keep them separated. I pushed the plastic ties from the rad side up through the tranny cooler.

I used to be able to feel my shifter getting a little warm on the steel shaft, now it stays real cool. I used a 15 x 8 x 1/2 cooler.

Brent....
Old 09-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Tranny cooler (MN-Brent)

Mine is mounted here:
Old 09-12-2003, 07:32 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Tranny cooler (Red73)

I see problems with mounting any cooler out of the FAN generated airflow....it's just hanging in still air doing basically nothing when stuck in traffic.....on the freeway, down in front is fine....but around town, inadequate airflow.....

GENE
Old 09-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Tranny cooler (Jvette73)

Mine is mounted to the center bumper support. Its mounted in a downward angle so it can pick up the air that flows in from underneath.
:withstupid:
Old 09-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: Tranny cooler (BSeery)

I was eyeballing between the front crossmember and the lower radiator support.
That's where I put mine.

Dane
Old 09-16-2003, 09:26 PM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: Tranny cooler (ill_driver)

I removed the condensor 2 weeks into owning my vette. I left the mounting brackets, though.
In its place, I now have the B&M 24,000 gvw tranny cooler. I used the supplied erector set-like brackets to mount it to the remaining condenser brackets.

Be careful when you install the hoses. DOUBLE CLAMP is my advice.
I ran her for 20 minutes in my driveway checking for leaks-- none. Then I drove her 5 min. to the parts store to show my buddy my handywork.
I opened the hood, went inside, came out with someone to show off my car to, and then as we watched she caught FIRE :mad . Luckily I carry at least 2 extinguishers at all times, and the fire lasted only 15 seconds. PLUS, my engine was NOT running, so I guess that saved me from sucking in the super-fine powder into the motor. The line was leaking only under high pressure, it didn't blow off, or split, or anything. It just leaked when I drove her, or got on it.
Combine the tranny fluid with header wrap, and you've got yourself an under the hood zippo lighter!!

Back to the original subject:
CHP had an article recently that showed the best position for an oil and/or tranny cooler would be in front of the condenser. That way it has the benefit of the fan pulling fresh air through it. Mounting the cooler behind the radiator or condenser is a bad idea due to the cooler receiving heated air, but at least it still has the benefit of fanned air rather than mounting it out of the way where it'll get no airflow while sitting in traffic (I don't think there's any room to mount one between the condensor or behind the radiator on a C3 anyway).

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny cooler

Quick Reply: Tranny cooler