C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on book: Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos for 1968-1982

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 03:06 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on book: Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos for 1968-1982

Has anyone read the book

Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos for 1968-1982

by: John Pfanstiehl, Paul Zazarine

Comments on its content and depth of detail are appreciated!
Old 09-10-2003, 03:17 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Question on book: Corvette Weekend Projects:

I've had this book for several years. It does come in handy for some projects but don't expect it to help you rebuild your suspension or engine.

If i recall it covers mostly cosmetic repairs.

ps: you've got to shorten your title line or replys won't post.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Question on book: Corvette Weekend Projects: (6t9l4t6)

I've always thought it was pretty funny that the book is titled weekend projects but the picture on the cover shows a couple washing the car :skep:
Old 09-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Question on book: Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos for 1968-1982

A lot of fluff. Interesting reading but no detail and lots of gaps. Don't get it if you are thinking of using it as a guide.

tom...
Old 09-10-2003, 08:16 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question on book: C

Is that the book that starts off with the guy buying a chrome bumper project car? And then there's page upon page of superficial cosmetic repairs and at the end there's the car looking fully restored?

If so, it's CRAP. Save your money.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:00 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos

Has anyone read the book Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos for 1968-1982. Comments on its content and depth of detail are appreciated!

I have it and have read it but also have a number of C3 restoration, technical guides each with a different purpose and no one does it all. Especially when you consider today's shop manuals are three volumes and about a foot high.

My view is this, a basic owner's reference set includes an AIM (assembly instruction manual), Chevy Passenger Service Manual (or Corvette Shop Manual after 79) and the NCRS Technical Manual if stock appearance is your objective. C3 restoration guides are a mix of these three references and typically because of the volume of information that must be conveyed...something gets left out. If you've got a guide with lots of photos...ask yourself what did they leave out to produce this book.

Highly technical books lack the theory of operation.
Photo rich books lack the detail of explanation of disassembly.
Restoration books are not necessarily maintenance books
Maintenance books are not restoration books.
No book takes the place of doing a restoration/maintenance project.

The weekend project book packages information into general maintenance projects an owner can take on and complete over a weekend...like washing the car! It takes on the less completed projects...you could accomplish the same thing with the shop manual.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:27 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos (hunt4cleanair)

It's another guide with a little different perspective. It's not that expensive. Sometimes a photo from just that angle is worth a lot. Comprehensive, no. Useful in context with others, yes.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:04 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos (markdtn)

It's another guide with a little different perspective. It's not that expensive. Sometimes a photo from just that angle is worth a lot. Comprehensive, no. Useful in context with others, yes.
:iagree: It's OK if one of the jobs in it is something that you're doing. I wouldn't buy it to help me out with a job, but it's a good read while lying in the bath! The best book by far I ever got was the shop manual for my year Vette from Ecklers. Not cheap, but it's worth every penny (cent!). I never thought I'd say this, but the Haynes manual has occasionally been useful as it's shown something that none of my other manuals have shown (usually the simple stuff that we're all supposed to know - but sometimes don't). A Haynes manual on it's own without any other manuals can be a liability!!!!!
:cheers:
Old 09-11-2003, 10:00 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Question on book: C (The Dude)

Is that the book that starts off with the guy buying a chrome bumper project car? And then there's page upon page of superficial cosmetic repairs and at the end there's the car looking fully restored?

If so, it's CRAP. Save your money.
I don't think so...you may be confusing the two. There is also 'How to Restore and Modify your 1968-1982 Corvette", which is a much better book. Weekend projects is lacking detail.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:21 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Question on book: C (69stingray)

"weekend projects" is junk. i got it for a x-mas gift one year and was done with it in 5 minutes. buy an assembly manual instead.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on book: Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos for 1968-1982

Quick Reply: Question on book: Corvette Weekend Projects: Maintenance and Repair how Tos for 1968-1982