C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power Steering Question

I replaced the power steering components on my 1981. This included the pump, cylinder, control valve and hoses. Next, I centered the control valve as explained in my shop manual. I've eliminated the leaky components, but now the steering wanders when traveling at highway speeds. I had the steering and rear end aligned, but this didn't help. Any ideas how I can correct the problem? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Packy76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Question (Biker)

check the "rag" joint between the steering box and the sterring column
Old 09-10-2003, 03:01 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Question (Biker)

Re-do the control valve balancing procedure. I had to do mine twice before it was good. I can read too, so I know I did the procedure correctly.
Gary
Old 09-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Question (Packy76)

Another quick check. Park your car so that it can be driven straight ahead a short distance without turning. Now, rotate your steering wheel lock to lock. Carefully count the number of turns and partial turns (X). Divide the number of turns in half (X/2). Go from full lock back X/2 turns. Your gear is now right on center. Drive your car forward. Does it go straight?

The gears inside your steering gear are designed so that when your steering gear is on center, there is a high spot machined into the gear set. Off center there is designed in clearance between the gears. With the gear right on center, you can now adjust the gear mesh by carefully tightening down on the screw that sticks out of the aluminum side cover. You just want to delash the gear teeth right on center.

NEVER make this adjustment with the gear off center. You can cause internal damage to the gear by making the side cover adjustment or eliminating the lash off center.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Question

Quick Reply: Power Steering Question