C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window failure...NEED HELP !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 08:08 AM
Blackened 79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power window failure...NEED HELP !!!!!

My '79 power window motor does not stop running when the glass reaches the top or bottom position. Also, the window doesn't reach the top anymore...the whole mechanism is very loose. Should I be looking at the motor, or the regulator as the cause ???? Either way I know I'm $crewed !

If it is the regulator, how does one go about installing a new one ??? I assume i need to remove the glass and slide it down the opening ???

This is gonna be FUN :nonod:
Old 09-10-2003, 08:16 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Power window failure...NEED HELP !!!!! (Troublemaker 71)

The glass unbolts and slides up out the top, then the rest of it comes out...sounds like the regulator teeth have rusted off......

there are many vendors who do this as a kit up ready to install....

while you at it, soak the regulator tracks in a pan of gasoline to remove the dired elephant snot and speed up the operation.....keep app lubrications off the tracks...just the nylon rollers is fine....
I would do the new system up with a layer of grease though, and take the motors apart and gasoline the gears, and regrease, oil the motor bearings...

GENE
Old 09-10-2003, 10:54 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Re: Power window failure...NEED HELP !!!!! (mrvette)

I agree it sounds like the regulator gear. It would be best to replace the whole regulator assembley. My friend and I did mine last night. It's a bit of a pain, but necessary. Good luck...
Old 09-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Power window failure...NEED HELP !!!!! (tabbruzz)

Zip has the instructions and parts necessary to do the rebuild. Without opening it up it will be impossible to tell what the problem is. Broken parts, adjustments out of whack or just simply a dirty mess due to the grease attracting dirt.

Not too difficult to do. Took a couple of hours each once I figured out all the parts I needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Power window failure...NEED HELP !!!!!

Quick Reply: Power window failure...NEED HELP !!!!!