C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my car wants to die under braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 07:50 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Why does my car wants to die under braking

Can't figure out why it wants to die around corners and when you hit the brakes, usually a no brainer, you adjust the floats, but I did that and it still want to die, really got me stumped. :confused:
Old 09-09-2003, 08:04 PM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why does my car wants to die under braking (MotorHead)

maybe its a vacuum issue-power steering and power brakes drawing so much at idle slowing down and going around a corner that your engine cuts out and dies? How is your idle?
Old 09-09-2003, 08:08 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Default Re: Why does my car wants to die under braking (79Corvette02)

Idle is fine rock steady 750RPM and last time I checked I had 15i in. of vacuum.

Just started after I installed new cam, but just after it was installed I don't recall having this problem, it seems to have just started recently, checked the floats and they were low so I adjusted them and was shocked to find I still had the problem.

Does not cut out on heavy accelleration though and you would think it would there too

[Modified by MotorHead, 7:09 PM 9/9/2003]
Old 09-09-2003, 09:41 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What carb are you running?
What fuel pump and at what pressure?
This may help the diagnosis.
Also, don't rule out an electrical gremlin, they will also show up under transient conditions (start, stop, turn).
You may want to check the hot wire(s) to your distributor, I had one that acted that way and the insulation was wearing on the lead to the points and would ground out in some transient conditions.
Jeff
Old 09-09-2003, 10:29 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, I know, you said you adjusted the float level already, but when I had this problem, I just lowered the float level on the secondary side of the the Holley, and no more stalling undr heavy braking.

You mentioned that you had to RAISE the float levels.

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but, try again, and lower the float level in the secondary side only.

My other guess would be that you're uncovering the primary jets, and hence the motor runs lean, and wants to die.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:33 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Default Re: Why does my car wants to die under braking ('75 383 ElkGrove)

Thanks I will try that, won't hurt and it won't take too long, I am puzzled on this one
Old 09-09-2003, 10:42 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Why does my car wants to die under braking (no_radio)

What carb are you running?
What fuel pump and at what pressure?
This may help the diagnosis.
Also, don't rule out an electrical gremlin, they will also show up under transient conditions (start, stop, turn).
You may want to check the hot wire(s) to your distributor, I had one that acted that way and the insulation was wearing on the lead to the points and would ground out in some transient conditions.
Jeff
Wayne, is this the same prob. that you had when we ran up here last month? if so, and after you have re-adjusted your floats try disconnecting your MSD and running without it, if I remember right didn't have the issue with no start even though you had power to you starter, but nothing back to your dist. until it cooled down a bit. Just sounds like you have an electrical gremlin in your ignition as Jim had stated.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:08 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Default Re: Why does my car wants to die under braking (gdh)

Greg the problem is related for sure and I might be looking at an electrical problem as it quit on me again the other day just after hitting 5500RPM and slowing down.

Just seems to behave exactly like a float adjustment problem that I can't seem to get around that as I have had the float problem before and this is exactly what it does.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

You might want to try disconnecting and plugging the vacuum line to the brake booster, then drive it under the same conditions that are causing the problem.
Your booster might have a leak in the diaphram but the front seal and the rear valve are sealing well, so your engine doesn't see a vacuum leak until the brakes are depressed (and the rear valve opens).

Get notified of new replies

To Why does my car wants to die under braking

Quick Reply: Why does my car wants to die under braking