C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have POR-15 application tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 11:48 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Does anyone have POR-15 application tips?

I'm going to POR-15 the front half of the frame tonight and I need any tips that you may have. I've done a few test sections. I haven't had a lot of luck with my airbrush (it doesn't want to spray consistently) but that is mainly its problem becasue the POR goes on nice, it just takes forever. When I brush it on I get little bubbles all over, once it dries. I don't want to sand the entire frame just to top coat with another spray can. So any tips from your experience would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:24 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone have POR-15 application tips? (burners)

I did my whole frame off with POR-15. IT MUST BE CLEAN. The little bubbles are from debris sitting on the frame. Grease and dirt MUST be cleaned off. I used the POR-15 products, degreaser and metal ready. I also tried my air sprayer... BAD IDEA! Just use a 4" paint brush, you won't even seen the brush strokes when it dries. Also, when you are finished with the brush... THROW IT OUT. It will become a black brick... really. Make sure you seal the can tight. I use a plastic bag and then tapped the lid on. If not the top will be tough to remove later and the paint will harden. Hope this helps... See my web page for how it turned out. Looks good... (then again.. it is a biased opinion.. hee hee) Oh yeah... wear gloves and stuff.. it takes ATLEAST 3 weeks to come off your skin... TRUST ME I KNOW... :yesnod:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/bendera/ :steering:
Old 09-09-2003, 12:36 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone have POR-15 application tips? (Mr.Gearhead)

Do not spray it unless you have a fresh air system,a mask won't filter out the isocynates, which will kill you. A stated the surface must be clean and the paint works best with the "metal ready" applied before the paint. I use it for a base coat on just abourt all the metal and cast parts I rebuild. I like it but it will chip off if hit.
Gary
Old 09-09-2003, 01:23 PM
One Bad 74
Intermediate

Don't forget your gloves and maybe a long sleeve shirt. That stuff won't come off your skin for a long time.

John
Old 09-09-2003, 02:04 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Buy lots of brushes! Get the ones that POR-15 sells and buy at least ten of them, actualy make it twenty. Pour into a small container and reseal the main container of POR-15. Air and moisture makes it go of. Just get about 1 cup at a time. It goes a loooooonnnnggggg way.

Do like Mr.Gearhead said but also buy a cotton painters hood and wear goggles. Or at leas glasses and a bal cap. Stuff gets in your hair is terrible and if in your eyes is ugly. Don't use the chassis coat over the top. The POR-15 looks better by itself. If you want the final product to be glossy then buy gloss, satin then buy satin. I found with three coats the satin gives a semi-gloss coat that looks great.

The chassis coat peeled off when brake fluid got to it but the POR-15 is still as hard as a rock. If you have holes in your frame that you are painting around put in a piece of wood (dowel) or a throwaway bolt. The POR-15 is so tough that you will need to drill if the bolt holes have it in it. Screws up torque specs if it is in holes also.

Good luck. Results make it worth doing.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:44 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I definitely had the surface clean when I brushed it on. In fact it flowed out nicely so there weren't any brush marks and no bubbles until it dried. I'm confused about that. All good tips, thanks a lot. Keep them coming.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:07 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grt1999 are you sure I don't think POR15 has Isos in it, 2 part uethanes (sp) do because of the hardener. But don't spray it as it will KILL a good spray gun.

I stand corrected, I just finished a search and foound information that POR15 contains Isos and should not be applied without a respirator (even by brush)

Steve :steering:

[Modified by stpman, 7:39 PM 9/9/2003]
Old 09-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone have POR-15 application tips? (One Bad 74)

The POR -15 came off of my skin in one day.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:38 PM
keith72
Instructor

I love the stuff. Did my whole frame, check out the link in my sig to see it.

I've also used the POR filler to fill in some damage on metal components, it worked great.

Tips? Absolutely no moisture. Anywhere. It trashes the paint. If you're painting something that will be exposed to sunlight, paint a topcoat. POR will turn brown from the sun exposure. And yeah, it doesn't come off skin very well.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 PM
69vetteL46
Advanced

Forget all about the brushes and spray guns. When I painted my frame I used a small 4" roller to apply the POR-15. The brush is good for the small tight areas but takes way too long and cant get messy.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone have POR-15 application tips?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have POR-15 application tips?