C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure regulators?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 11:44 AM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure regulators?

Another person told me that my Holley chrome high output fuel pump pressure might be to high and thus is not letting the needle and seat do its job. My pump is a 70gph rated at about 7.5psi. Is that too much for a Holley 850DP? Would it improve if it had a regulator set at about 4psi? I have checked my float levels and they look ok, but just trying to rule out other reasons for running rich.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:15 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fuel pressure regulators? (467-Ratman)

I ordered a High Output Holley street pump and installed not knowing it was actually the strip pump with 15 psi, the box had the part number I ordered on it and the pump had no part # or disguishing marks except the fittings where 1/2", not the 3/8" they should have been for the strip pump. I had no problems with it the short time I ran it without a regulator. Ended just yanking the set up, too much to deal with when a stock pump does the job fine. With your bb I would think it is a good idea though.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:26 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Fuel pressure regulators? (467-Ratman)

I don't think the holley carbs are made to operate at 7.5 psi and I always run a regulator set of 5.5 or 6 pounds. The cheap one from holley seems to work fine. The high pressure pump is blue and comes stock with this regulator and the red low pressure pump does not. I still like to run the pressure lower at 5.5 or 6 pounds.
I run twin high pressure pumps, switch/relay controlled so I can turn one off when not needed plus a good regulator from holley.
You can buy rubber isolation mounts, while not made for the holley pump they sure fit nice and don't need modification. Cuts alot of the noise down.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:35 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel pressure regulators? (norvalwilhelm)

Jegs has them for about 25 bucks, sounds like a good investment... I have a fuel pressure gauge and at idle it shows about 7 -8psi, not sure what it does when you rap the throttle...

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pressure regulators?

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure regulators?