C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock?

Old 09-09-2003, 10:26 AM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock?

the title says it all?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:42 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock? (ykp53)

I'm sure there are more but having a rev limiter is nice insurance.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:53 AM
77-C3 & 89-C4
Advanced

If compared to the GM HEI very little Just a huge price for the MSD unit taht will mean zero performance wise.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock? (77-C3 & 89-C4)

If compared to the GM HEI very little Just a huge price for the MSD unit taht will mean zero performance wise.
I agree on a stock set up but when running a bigger cam it helps smooth out the idle, better/quicker starts and better low rpm throttle responce. Plus the stickers look :cool: on your work bench. :)
Old 09-09-2003, 12:24 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Capacitive Discharge systems (such as MSD) are useful in the following cases:

Super/turbo charged
High compression (>12:1)
High rpm over 6500.
Nitrous

All of the above create high cylinder pressures (except high rpm) which makes it hard for an inductive discharge system to jump the plug gap. High rpm is hard on an ID setup as the coil has very little time to recharge.

CD systems are very good at firing a rich mixture. They are very poor at firing a lean mixture, though. That's the reason for the multi-spark. They count on atleast one of the sparks to ignite the mixture. However, if the 2nd or 3rd spark ignites the mixture, the timing will be retarded for the cycle.

A CD spark is short and strong, vs the ID system spark which is weaker but much longer.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:38 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like my MSD so much I bought 4 of them. A msd-6al for the ignition and rev limiter, the MSD timming master to give me a consistent advance curve, a msd timming controller to fine tune the car when running down the road for maximum timming and finally the msd boost/retart system for controlling the timming under boost conditions.
All the components seems to give me years of maintenace free running with my plugs staying clean under all conditions.
I like msd and if you know how to trouble shoot them they are very easy if you ever would encounter a problem.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:58 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock? (norvalwilhelm)

I like my MSD so much I bought 4 of them. A msd-6al for the ignition and rev limiter, the MSD timming master to give me a consistent advance curve, a msd timming controller to fine tune the car when running down the road for maximum timming and finally the msd boost/retart system for controlling the timming under boost conditions.
All the components seems to give me years of maintenace free running with my plugs staying clean under all conditions.
I like msd and if you know how to trouble shoot them they are very easy if you ever would encounter a problem.
Since you have the knowledge of this system.....I'm in the middle of engine tear down....while I'm at it....I installed the MSD6AL box....I installed it inside my glove compartment. Do you see a problem with the install location of the box??? I was told there could be a heat issue with the box enclosed like that...What do you think?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:06 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

is HEI Inductive? I am confused here!!. for some reason I thought that MSD was inductive, and also CD.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:05 PM
zwede
Race Director

Default Re: What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock? (WashingtonRacer)

is HEI Inductive? I am confused here!!. for some reason I thought that MSD was inductive, and also CD.
HEI is inductive, MSD capacitive (exept the MSD5A which is inductive).
Old 09-09-2003, 02:42 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock? (zwede)

that is odd, i just bought a f.A.S.T. system. it's for GM HEI, but they have an option to upgrade to Inductive pickup. and state you need to do this if you want to use MSD. I was really confused about this, and still am.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:50 PM
zwede
Race Director

Default Re: What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock? (WashingtonRacer)

that is odd, i just bought a f.A.S.T. system. it's for GM HEI, but they have an option to upgrade to Inductive pickup. and state you need to do this if you want to use MSD. I was really confused about this, and still am.
The inductive pickup they talk about is the sensor that generates a signal to the ECU telling it when to fire. The pickup has nothing to do with actually firing the coil, it just generates a signal. The ECU then figures out the exact time the coil should fire (based on the pulse it received from the pickup and then offsetted to achieve the correct timing advance). The ECU sends a signal to the MSD box telling it to fire the coil. The MSD box is capacitive discharge.

To fire a coil you send current though it and then cut the juice. The collapse of the electromagnetic field in the coil generates a secondary high voltage spike which fires the coil.

In ID you use the battery to send juice to the coil and in CD you use a capacitor as an intermediate step to store it. The CD capacitor has a lower internal resistence than the battery which means the coil can be charged faster and to a higher degree.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:53 PM
zwede
Race Director

Default Re: What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock? (zwede)

BTW, I'm surprised FAST requires you to switch to an inductive pickup just to use a MSD box. I'm running an accell 300 and also tried an MSD6A with a holley commander 950 and either one ran fine with a 8-pin small-cap HEI and ECU controlled timing advance.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the advantages of MSD systems over stock?