C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my C3 Dreams Foolish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 06:20 AM
GuyThomas
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my C3 Dreams Foolish?

Hi Everyone,
You have a very impressive forum going here, and I'd like to thank you all for your active participation.
At any rate, I have never owned a vehicle older than 10 years or so. I rent a house without a garage (does have a driveway though) and I want to haul butt both in a straight line and around curves. (I suppose all the forementioned are negatives.)
This would be a second car, so reliability is not vital. I figure 73 and older due to smog regulations.

Am I wise to be looking into a 68-73 without prior mechanical experience?
How long did it take you to find and purchase your first C3?

Also, I'm not one to take without giving, so I would like to offer my video expertise to anyone who needs it. I have pro-video editing and hosting available, so If you have a C3 tape or clip that you think is really cool and want to share with the world, let me know and I can hook you up.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:55 AM
chrply
Racer

Default Re: Are my C3 Dreams Foolish? (GuyThomas)

Guy, welcome to the biggest & badest corvette forum in the world. here you will find an assortment of people with experance on all corvettes, (just don't make fun of anyones ride) you can not only find a vette for sale here but you can have several hundred people l@@king for the right car for you. goodluck on your quest for a corvette....chrply
Old 09-09-2003, 07:07 AM
GuyThomas
Cruising

Default Re: Are my C3 Dreams Foolish? (chrply)

Thanks man,
As far as I can tell, its not only the biggest and baddest, its also the best.
I don't really feel comfortable asking people to keep an eye out for me yet..but maybe soon. I just need to find ways to participate.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:38 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi...uuummm...
im sorry for not answering your questions but i am kinda curious about your web site...WTF?
Old 09-09-2003, 07:49 AM
GuyThomas
Cruising

Ahh Yes.. Good ole http://www.antiguy.com .. You no like?

No, I decided that the typical "Welcome to my homepage.. here I am at the grand canyon" wasn't very interesting.. So I decided to go with the.. "Guy Thomas is an evil terrorist, lets band together and kill him" motif. But, If you look around you will find that its just a homepage.. Like anybody elses. Make sure you check out some of the movies I made back in the day.. I personally reccommend.. http://www.antiguy.com/video/psychwinhigh.wmv It's the USAF's best and brightest!.. If you want to check out a little more mellow Guy Thomas website, you can see my business one at http://www.provisualmedia.com/wedding/index.html . I hope that you will not shun me, even if I appear to be an international terrorist.. :)
Old 09-09-2003, 08:03 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Guy, welcome to the crazyies hangout, better group of nuts you will not find....except maybe your local vette club...check the NCCC, NCRS web sites for groups/clubs in your area, and join one that suits your likes.....
get to know the club guru a bit, as you want him to look over your prospective ride AFTER you examine it first....he knows vettes better than anyone else in the club, and may even own a shop....you need his advice to keep from getting burnt....

Fiberglass be damned, the birdcage/farme rust issues abound.....

GENE
Old 09-09-2003, 08:34 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh Yes.. Good ole http://www.antiguy.com .. You no like?

No, I decided that the typical "Welcome to my homepage.. here I am at the grand canyon" wasn't very interesting.. So I decided to go with the.. "Guy Thomas is an evil terrorist, lets band together and kill him" motif. But, If you look around you will find that its just a homepage.. Like anybody elses. Make sure you check out some of the movies I made back in the day.. I personally reccommend.. http://www.antiguy.com/video/psychwinhigh.wmv It's the USAF's best and brightest!.. If you want to check out a little more mellow Guy Thomas website, you can see my business one at http://www.provisualmedia.com/wedding/index.html . I hope that you will not shun me, even if I appear to be an international terrorist.. :)
oh...ok....im cool with that... :D
Old 09-09-2003, 08:37 AM
GuyThomas
Cruising

Default Re: Are my C3 Dreams Foolish? (mrvette)

Thanks for the advice. I suppose rust issues are going to be one of the biggest problem areas to be looking out for. Right now I'm in full learning mode, and I'm reading over some of the inspection FAQ's over at Corvettefaq.com. I figure if I can read and comprehend the issues presented there, I am going to be well off. Always best to have that final inspection done by a pro though.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:20 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Welcome to the forum dude!! What's your USAF history?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:51 PM
GuyThomas
Cruising

Default Re: Are my C3 Dreams Foolish? (79VetteMike)

Well, I got out in August of 02, after spending 2 years in Kaiserslautern, Germany, and 2 years in Denver, CO. I got lucky and was placed in a nice technical job in Space Command (2E4xx), which was later combined with SatCom(2E1xx). It worked out really well for me, before I got out I was able to land a job with NASA at the Jet Propulsion Laboratories in Pasadena, CA. and now I can afford a weekend vette! The Air Force was the best thing to happen to me, and I highly advise any whipper-snappers to check out the option. :flag

guy
Old 09-09-2003, 05:49 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Welcome, killer web site! :cheers:
Old 09-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Are my C3 Dreams Foolish? (groovyjay)

Welcome to the fourum man, we have a great group here. :seeya
:cheers:
Old 09-09-2003, 07:16 PM
sewright
Instructor

I had very little hands on experience when I bought my vette. But I had read alot about cars in general. It took me several months after I got serious about it. But I made a mistake. I bought cheap thinking that I could fix it up. I wish I had spent more up front. I probably would have been better off in the long run. One huge advantage was that the car is a weekend driver, so if it sat for a few weeks while I tried to figure out how to put it back together that wasn't such a bad thing. Anyway, I have been able to accomplish alot more than I ever thought I would but I still have a long way to go. Either way I'm extremely happy that I bought the car (are you interested in making me more happy by buying it...hahahaha).

Anyway, you won't regret buying a vette. You may swear at it on occasion (change your water pump then call me!) but not regret it.

Get notified of new replies

To Are my C3 Dreams Foolish?

Quick Reply: Are my C3 Dreams Foolish?